Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 mercedes e420
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO, I SAW THIS SOMEWHERE, BUT HERE I GO, I CHANGED MY BULBS TO MTECH BLUE, THE ARE NICE THEY LOOK NON RICEY, HAHAHA, BUT I HATE THAT CITY LIGHT, IT IS SO YELLOW, IS THERE A BLUE LED, OR BLUEISH LIGHT I CANPUT IN, AND IS IT AN H6 OR M17, AND DO I NEED TO DO ANY MODS LIKE CUTTING ONE OF THE TIPS OFF?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Okay, stop shouting.:) Didn't you just recently replace yours with aftermarket assemblies? They may use a different bulb.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
My bad, I thought that was your post recently.

There are alternatives but it depends on how much you want to change it. There are osram and phillips cool blues (etc.) on the market (which will give you a whiter but a slightly bluish hue)...for $26. Each.

I see threads about LEDs, such as this one: Forums but there is always the issue of resistors to cancel the lamp malfunction warning. You'll also note the discussion in the thread that the osram and phillips bulbs still have a yellowish cast, and some opine that the osram get whiter over time.

Decent LEDs can be hard to find, too (I thought about them for replacing cluster bulbs, but...). I've somewhere read good things about this place (this link takes you to their 5-led H6W replacement) aceparts - Bulbs by fitting (all) > H6W > H6W 5 LED Sidelight Bulbs - HID Kits, Xenon Bulbs, LED Bulbs, Sidelights and Interior LED bulb kits and though they are in the UK, their price includes shipping. (If you're interested in the LEDs for the cluster they have them as well, in colors if that interests you).

I'm not sure what resistor you would need to cancel the malfunction warning; the 5 LED might be enough to do it. (The ones in the other forum thread were 4-LED -- and the base is 180 degree so you have to file off one of the pins...). If not, start experimenting. By comparison with the $26 bulbs (and the $20 LEDs with shipping) resistors are dirt cheap. :D

Personally, I'm not bothered enough by it to take such measures, but that is the cool thing about cars, you can mod them the way you like. :) (Now if I could find quality "halo" lights to replace the city lights I would be sorely tempted...)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts