Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560sl
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 560sl
plugged in my garmin gps unit and no power. pulled out the ash tray/lighter unit and there is no wire supplying power to the lighter receptacle. i see no wire at all coming in that could be connected. any information or insight as to why there would not be a power supply appreciated.

thanks

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
There's a contact on the left side of the ash tray unit that gets power from a receptacle with a plug in connector that remains in the console.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,246 Posts
The cigarette lighter is not a standard plug per usual US specs. Your Garmin adapter won't work well, if at all. Most people buy an accessory US spec power port and hot wire it into the system (usually mounting it in the glove box).

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
The cigarette lighter is not a standard plug per usual US specs. Your Garmin adapter won't work well, if at all. Most people buy an accessory US spec power port and hot wire it into the system (usually mounting it in the clove box).
I don't care for the smell of cloves...

:)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,494 Posts
1988 560sl
plugged in my garmin gps unit and no power. pulled out the ash tray/lighter unit and there is no wire supplying power to the lighter receptacle. i see no wire at all coming in that could be connected. any information or insight as to why there would not be a power supply appreciated.

thanks
It is a shitty set up, to be sure. There are contacts on the left side of the ashtray assembly that slide against each other. Sometimes they are worn, sometimes the springyness has gone out of the tangs.
Further, it is actually a cigar lighter and is a little oversized compared to modern day accessory plugs. Some get away by jamming a piece of cardboard in there to maintain contact, others use an step down adapter while others install a separate accessory plug adapter elsewhere...the glove box being a good spot.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts