Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Modified 1996 E320 (W210) w/ 108,000 Miles.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's a 1996 E320 with 110,000 miles.

Something strange is going on with my cigarette lighter -- I tried to power my Magellan Roadmate 2000 GPS with it, and what happens is that it gets power for about 4 seconds, and then for just a split-second, the power dies and then comes back on (that is, the power coming from the cigarette lighter to the unit).

The problem is that it takes the unit a couple of seconds to start charging when you begin to power it. That means that it can't be powered in my car, because it discharges faster than it charges. I really need my GPS working, so any help getting the car fixed is a real help.

I have tried the unit in a different car, and it worked fine, so it's definitely something wrong with the car.

I also tried a radar detector, which has no internal batteries and is reliant on the DC power, and the same problem occurs. Only, this time, it would actually shut off when the power was lost for that moment.

I have tried replacing fuses and having the car actually running while the GPS is plugged in. Neither of these have helped.

If there is any more info that could help you diagnose it, please let me know and I will get right back.

Your help is much appreciated.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
It sounds like a defective in cig. lighter or a short wire in the cig. lighter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts