Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Happy Holidays.

I use my cigar lighter for keeping my cell phone charged.

I do not use the "element" and keep that aside in storage.

I have two issues:

First - The socket is corroded and rusty and only gives me a good connection if I constantly twist any charger plugged in

Secondly - the entire case/cartridge it sits in (left side of the ashtray) keeps springing upward due from the spring pressure of the adjacent ashtray and the fact it once had plastic clips that gripped into the console which apparently broke off.

At a minimum I need a new socket for sound, positive connection.

Ideally - I'd like to replace the entire cartridge (although if hard to find I could crazy glue the case in).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
If you can't find a MB replacement, get a generic one from Auto Store for a few dollars and install it in the eyeglass compartment.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Guess what? I tried Ebay and they have the entire assembly, case and lighter for $29.00 - I'm going to go for it.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Hey Guess what? I tried Ebay and they have the entire assembly, case and lighter for $29.00 - I'm going to go for it.
Hi Frank, glad to see that you've managed to locate the part(s) required for the repair.

By any chance, would you happen to be able to post the eBay link you are referring to for reference purposes?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about the delay in responding

Hi Frank, glad to see that you've managed to locate the part(s) required for the repair.

By any chance, would you happen to be able to post the eBay link you are referring to for reference purposes?
Ken -

The Cigar Lighter assembly I bought was found at this link:
Mercedes lighter with insert 300SL SL320 500SL 600SL - eBay (item 390267444694 end time Dec-22-10 19:50:24 PST)

Posted as per your request.
It was used - but from the photos - in much better condition than my badly corroded unit.

Also on mine the plastic latches broke off causing it ride along the ashtray (powered by its spring) and slide up out of the unit.

Once I get this to stay in and power my phone - I will modify ashtray with felt to turn it into a cell phone holder.
It happens to be the perfect size. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts