Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Gang, I have done much on my 82' 300DT But i would like a little friendly advice.
First, Recent accomplishments...
-Oil Changed
-Valves adjusted
-Glow plugs changed(may not have reamed as well as i should) -(Reamer is in the mail)
-2 Cans Diesel Purge run through
-Much cetane booster in tanks
-Replaced diesel return lines
-Transmission needed 2 quarts of fluid
-Stopped rust in trunk, getting ready to fiberglass patch holes
-automatic antenna deletion
-rewired dash, fixed aftermarket stereo
-replaced hazard switch
-corner lights with clears
-cleaned banjo bolt for turbo and vac lines.

Now here is where i need the advice. When I start the engine from cold it sputters and coughs and chugs. If i give it a bit of throttle it clears up after about 30 seconds. Also if i put it immediately in gear and drive its no trouble after about 2 blocks. Is this a symptom of not reaming the glow plug pre-chamber adequately enough? Or am i missing something?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like a bad GP or two, what brand did you buy?

Fuel filters are not usually the problem on start up unless they are plugged really bad, which is not the case if your problem improves with acceleration.

I would check those GPs.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Quick reply everyone. I have changed both fuel filters, cleaned the banjo bolt and vacuum line, have not adjusted the ALDA. Glow plugs were malo? I believe.
So again, I start the car fine, the glow plugs cycle, and then about 10 seconds after the start it begins to misfire, then it stalls.

I'll check the glow plugs. Also, on the GP wiring there is a bare wire hanging out of the harness. Its brown with a green stripe and its just a cut off wire. Hanging there. Any ideas. I tested it. It has power.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts