Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I just purchased a 2004 Obsidian Black W163 with all the bells and whistles available at that time including the appearance package - love the stitching on the seats etc. . I want to add chrome to the Trunk Lid and likely the door handles - it came with the brush guard, mud flaps and step-ups.

Where do you all recommend finding the chrome online?
Also - does anyone know the actual difference between the 'chrome' plastic stick on stuff and actual chrome in terms of wear and look? I'm not invested in spending the big bucks - just want a clean, easy install that will wear well for a couple of years.

Advice???

Rob W.
Santa Moncia

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Re the liftgate chrome piece- the plastic stick on looks ok to most people...however, if I could go back and do it again, I'd order the OE part for an ML500. You can see from the side that there is a gap and that drives me nuts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i purchased the chrome piece for the liftgate from for my mercedes . com as well as chrome door handles on ebay and both are now corroded. i have all these spots on them and it looks terrible. i don't know if some chrome polish will help but i'm gonna try that later this week when i get a chance and the weather lets up here. if it doesn't help i'm gonna tear them off and replace them with the aluminum chrome handles rather than the cheap abs plastic. i guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
amgmezo thanks for the heads up. I guess i will also go for the OE. Dos any one know offhand the price of the OE handles and trunk lid

·
Registered
559 Posts
amgmezo thanks for the heads up. I guess i will also go for the OE. Dos any one know offhand the price of the OE handles and trunk lid
The OEM trunk lid is chromed plastic and requires the dismantling of the tailgate's trim panel in order to unbolt the handle from the inside of the tailgate. Not extremely difficult, but not for the faint of heart either.

As far as the chrome door handles cups, there are no OEM ones. Well there are, but they're just rebranded MB OEM and double the price of the Ebay ones! I'm very surprised to hear that these have corrosion on them as they are not metal.

As far as the rust spots on the chrome handle, it's probably because they're made of chromed brass and do indeed require chrome polish to protect them. Small price to pay.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Greetings. I just purchased a 2004 Obsidian Black W163 with all the bells and whistles available at that time including the appearance package - love the stitching on the seats etc. . I want to add chrome to the Trunk Lid and likely the door handles - it came with the brush guard, mud flaps and step-ups.

Where do you all recommend finding the chrome online?
Also - does anyone know the actual difference between the 'chrome' plastic stick on stuff and actual chrome in terms of wear and look? I'm not invested in spending the big bucks - just want a clean, easy install that will wear well for a couple of years.

Advice???

Rob W.
Santa Moncia
I have a 2003 Obsidian Black W163...I finally found a good set of door handles (great fit). I got the chrome bottom grill from a fellow Benzworld mbr and ordered the Brabus stainless steel step plate from CEC auto in Cali.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
why are the pics green? lmao. can you take more shots of the door handles, how much were they?
not sure? it was a new cellphone camera...i'll try to post better pics later.

·
Registered
177 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very nice. Which/where from chrome tailpipe did you purchase? And did it mount without cutting/removing the bumper valance?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Very nice. Which/where from chrome tailpipe did you purchase? And did it mount without cutting/removing the bumper valance?
Im pretty sure I have the same tailpipe, and I got mine fromhere

it was just bolt on. At first i thought it looked tacky, but it's grown on me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the tailpipe a "real" tailpipe, i.e. does the exhaust exit from the rear opening or does this just slip over the existing pipe and have the exhaust exit out the bottom. I purchased one that was as I described and sent it back. I thought on a cold morning it would look silly for the exhaust to be coming out the bottom of this large chrome pipe and not out the end.

Mike

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Is the tailpipe a "real" tailpipe, i.e. does the exhaust exit from the rear opening or does this just slip over the existing pipe and have the exhaust exit out the bottom. I purchased one that was as I described and sent it back. I thought on a cold morning it would look silly for the exhaust to be coming out the bottom of this large chrome pipe and not out the end.

Mike
Everything I've ever seen is like you've described...which is yet another reason why I don't have one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts