Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts guys on fitting things like chrome rings in the cluster and the ones that go round the switches, at the moment there is nothing chrome in my CL other than the door handles.

Do they make the car look better or cheapen it ???

·
Registered
692 Posts
It'll be an opinion poll; I like the rings on the cluster but haven't added them. I tried chrome on the shifter plate bezel and didn't like it but didn't try on each switch.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer,,, I too like the rings in the cluster, I had a spare chrome trim for the gear shift,,I laid it there and thought like you that its not right

·
Registered
721 Posts
i think the worst chrome add on is the mirror covers and the window separator!!! small stuff such as cluster is okay with me...
im currently working on my friends e320 and he has mirror covers!! BLEH!!! such an eye sore!!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A lot high end cars have the chrome surrounds on the gauge cluster from the factory. (The Saleen S7 being one of them :thumbsup:) The chrome rings for the guage cluster is a nice subtle/tasteful upgrade in my opinion. Mercedes really should have added them from the factory... I personally wouldn't add chrome to anything else though.

I plan to eventually add them to my gauge cluster.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I think its a matter of taste, "each to their own" etc I like the rings on the dash but would like ot see aphoto before I decide, I have the gear stick bezel and I like it. I am thinking of the boot/trunk lip above the number plate but again would like a photo before I decide. Wing mirrors are a no no IMHO

·
W140 Moderator
7,514 Posts
On a car that dosnt have the chrome switch surround on it looks good as is but with them on it just finishes the console off , it gives it that extra look in a way ,refined edges ,in my opinion ,they should be there from factory build .
Even the rings around the cluster add that extra class to it ,the wood inside the cluster ,well i got it on but its nothing special to look at ,i could do without it ,to much of the same colour is not good,the chrome rings alone would stand out more with the original colour ( black) cluster background,i recommend to install those rings around the cluster & all switches including gearstick surround chrome , i dont know how the AC vent chrome would look ,i'm searching for the burlwood trim around that as my sidevents have it .
Take a look yourself below .:thumbsup:

A do it yourself guide from Bayhas :
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1415596-installing-chrome-rings-diy-pictorial.html

Attachments

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a car that dosnt have the chrome switch surround on it looks good as is but with them on it just finishes the console off , it gives it that extra look in a way ,refined edges ,in my opinion ,they should be there from factory build .
Even the rings around the cluster add that extra class to it ,the wood inside the cluster ,well i got it on but its nothing special to look at ,i could do without it ,to much of the same colour is not good,the chrome rings alone would stand out more with the original colour ( black) cluster background,i recommend to install those rings around the cluster & all switches including gearstick surround chrome , i dont know how the AC vent chrome would look ,i'm searching for the burlwood trim around that as my sidevents have it .
Take a look yourself below .:thumbsup:

A do it yourself guide from Bayhas :
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1415596-installing-chrome-rings-diy-pictorial.html
Thank you for putting the pictures,it means more than words alone, I can see what you mean with the trims around the switches and they look fine on your car, the interior on mine is black so very so they could look OK.

Thank you again.

·
W140 Moderator
7,514 Posts
Welcome anytime , with your black interior the chrome would look twice as good ,trust me you cant go wrong ,say you do get the chrome ,install them and dont like them , they come off easy and you can wipe the glue from the chrome surrounds off with a little metho spirit ,no harm done to the wood .Dont forget to get the shifter surround gate ,it closes that gap inbetween the wood & the black shifting gear,those are available in black or chrome .:thumbsup:

The links below is a random pic ,shop for a cheaper price exept for the Switch surround , you need to go hunting for those,i could'nt find any easy ,so keep the name as a reference what to search for in the search bar unless you are more lucky .

SWITCH FRAME RIM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWITCH-FRAME-RIM-MERCEDES-W140-S-CLASS-1991-1999-/190424685294?_trksid=p4340.m503&_trkparms=algo=RIC.CF&its=I&itu=UA&otn=5&pmod=190424472473&ps=63&clkid=4568395691447852087

CHROME GEAR SHIFTER FRAME
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MERCEDES-W140-S-CLASS-CHROME-GEAR-SHIFTER-FRAME-/150593121218?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23100cabc2

A/C VENT SURROUND
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MERCEDES-W140-91-98-A-C-VENT-SURROUND-S500-CHROME-S320-/150618821659?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231194d41b

CHROME GAUGE RINGS
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MERCEDES-W140-CHROME-GAUGE-RINGS-DIALS-R129-91-99-USE-/160690833168?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2569eb8710

MB W140 Chrome all ,take the best one .
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5520&rt=nc&_nkw=Mercedes w140 CHROME&_dmpt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

EXTRA-EXTRA,lol. ( added this Link so you see the difference between clusters ,with wood + rings & with out it .)
http://en.bestpicturesof.com/w140 chrome speedo instrument cluster rings

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I only like them on the cluster along with the burl walnut insert. Any other chrome accents on the rest of the interior looks tacky imo.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks merc s 500 for all the links,, I have something to work on now

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi,

Did the wooden cluster and chrome rings and chrome pillars (mine where very dull and spotty).
Apart form that contemplating more bling, but cautious, more is not always better, and looking like a rapper at my age....couldn't handle the heavy pendants, doesn't look good with a balding grey head.

Cheers

·
Registered
310 Posts
It is a package deal on the interior chrome trim items

Welcome anytime , with your black interior the chrome would look twice as good ,trust me you cant go wrong ,say you do get the chrome ,install them and dont like them , they come off easy and you can wipe the glue from the chrome surrounds off with a little metho spirit ,no harm done to the wood .Dont forget to get the shifter surround gate ,it closes that gap inbetween the wood & the black shifting gear,those are available in black or chrome .:thumbsup:

The links below is a random pic ,shop for a cheaper price exept for the Switch surround , you need to go hunting for those,i could'nt find any easy ,so keep the name as a reference what to search for in the search bar unless you are more lucky .

SWITCH FRAME RIM
SWITCH FRAME RIM FOR MERCEDES W140 S-CLASS 1991-1999 | eBay

CHROME GEAR SHIFTER FRAME
MERCEDES W140 S-CLASS CHROME GEAR SHIFTER FRAME | eBay

A/C VENT SURROUND
MERCEDES W140 91-98 A/C VENT SURROUND S500 CHROME S320 | eBay

CHROME GAUGE RINGS
MERCEDES W140 CHROME GAUGE RINGS DIALS & R129 91-99 USE | eBay

MB W140 Chrome all ,take the best one .
Mercedes w140 CHROME | eBay

EXTRA-EXTRA,lol. ( added this Link so you see the difference between clusters ,with wood + rings & with out it .)
Pictures - w140 chrome speedo instrument cluster rings
Thanks for sharing the links and the photos. When I see a single chrome item (shift surround) it looks out of place. When I see a the full console trimmed like yours, it looks sharp. The contrast of natural wood against the metallic has eye appeal.

Like any decorative item, too much of a good thing can also happen.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for sharing the links and the photos. When I see a single chrome item (shift surround) it looks out of place. When I see a the full console trimmed like yours, it looks sharp. The contrast of natural wood against the metallic has eye appeal.

Like any decorative item, too much of a good thing can also happen.
You have summed it up exactly, no good just laying one thing there to get an idea.

Yes very kind of merc s 500 to put up all of the links, I see a firm called CKS in the UK is there with prices 3 times more expensive, they buy them in to order and earn plenty,, they all come from the same place and the same quality

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
I did the chrome stainless steel trim on the B-pillars between the side windows because the original ones were pretty faded on my car. Also, I've got the chrome shift surround in the interior and the piece just above the license plate on the trunk.

That's enough for me, I think.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Doing upgrades tastefully is the only way to go on a Mercedes. (After all we dont wanna look like the vehicle has been riced lol)

Heres my contribution:

- chrome rings to the cluster (Aswell as upgraded it to a digital one)

- Chrome vent covers.

- Chrome steering wheel badge..

I was going to ad the wood cluster insert, but with my colour code of the interior I decided to keep the chrome on the black. And the beige upgraded various wood pieces and leather..

Personally I like the chrome vent surrounds. Some people dont like them, I just feel they update the look of the interior :D

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Doing upgrades tastefully is the only way to go on a Mercedes. (After all we dont wanna look like the vehicle has been riced lol)

Heres my contribution:

- chrome rings to the cluster (Aswell as upgraded it to a digital one)

- Chrome vent covers.

- Chrome steering wheel badge..

I was going to ad the wood cluster insert, but with my colour code of the interior I decided to keep the chrome on the black. And the beige upgraded various wood pieces and leather..

Personally I like the chrome vent surrounds. Some people dont like them, I just feel they update the look of the interior :D
Greetings, nice car!

Where did you source the chrome steering wheel badge?

I think it would be an excellent addition to the car.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
The steering wheel badge, is actually the trunk badge from a W203. You can find one at a local breakers or stealership.

It fits excellently over the original badge, and adds a great feel to the steering. (Especially if its the wood + leather on like mine)

The badge is made of plastic, and can be attached easily with minimal modification. Use silicone to attach it, so in case the airbag were to pop, the badge should fly off and not hurt the driver..

All the best!

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The steering wheel badge, is actually the trunk badge from a W203. You can find one at a local breakers or stealership.

It fits excellently over the original badge, and adds a great feel to the steering. (Especially if its the wood + leather on like mine)

The badge is made of plastic, and can be attached easily with minimal modification. Use silicone to attach it, so in case the airbag were to pop, the badge should fly off and not hurt the driver..

All the best!

I was thinking of my forehead being branded with the STAR,, a little over the top for enthusiasm for the mark

1 - 20 of 55 Posts