Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the chrome around my windows on both sides and center trunk lid is milky or foggy looking... I was told to take wire wool to it, and I searched google looking for answers and found this forum...

Meguiar's Online - Chrome Trim

they say that their piece was a "plastic with a chrome film with a plastic coating on top"... is that the same for us?

"that tends to happen is that as it ages, water and moisture can sometimes get trapped behind the plastic coating causing the piece to "fog up". Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done if the moisture and condensation has already fogged the plastic ... Sometimes it will dry up, but usually over time it forms a haze and the piece needs to be replaced."

Is that correct? I just wanted to get another opinion before i start searching to buy another set.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Chelsea,

If you want to buff out the trim pieces you have a couple options.. I use a stripper to remove the clear coat on the parts (just long enough to bubble up the clear) wash them in water soap and then use some metal polish like crazy to clean and polish them. You can sand them but that is very very hard work, then polish.. or take it all down to a buffer and have them restore them. It will cost some cash but they can fix all the dings and imperfections. They can polish it back to like new and coat it in a clear that will last longer than the original.

It will come out looking fantastic but it is alot of work, especially if you do all of the window trims and such. Another thing too is that once done, the trim is bare aluminum and will require polishing every so often to bring the shine back.

My wheels on my 83 380 are the original 14" aluminum ones and I have polished them all to look like chrome.. It looks great people think they are new.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
What Billabongo said.

The anodized aluminium "chrome" trim on our cars will turn "cloudy" with age as the aluminium oxidizes and the anodized layer breaks down.

As Billabongo said, the only option is to buff (or sand) through the anodized layer, polish up and re-anodize or clear coat.

The only other option is to purchase new trim. It is expensive, but it is still available. I got a bunch from Jonathan earlier this year and it really makes a difference in the car's appearance.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Chelsea, search on this subject. Wealth of info and opinions. The problem with anodized aluminum is when the coating is gone, it will oxidize almost overnight. Aluminum and air are HIGHLY reactive. You can keep polishing, or even coat it with something, but the work involved with keeping this up is probably a good balance with buying new parts. Just my opinion.

Dave

·
Registered
354 Posts
My 1987 420sel has always been garaged so the trim is like new. Will a metal polish keep it looking that way? I'm able to continue to keep it out of the sun for the most part (just got it three weeks ago).

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
qwkredfox said:
Well the chrome around my windows on both sides and center trunk lid is milky or foggy looking... I was told to take wire wool to it, and I searched google looking for answers and found this forum...

Meguiar's Online - Chrome Trim

they say that their piece was a "plastic with a chrome film with a plastic coating on top"... is that the same for us?

"that tends to happen is that as it ages, water and moisture can sometimes get trapped behind the plastic coating causing the piece to "fog up". Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done if the moisture and condensation has already fogged the plastic ... Sometimes it will dry up, but usually over time it forms a haze and the piece needs to be replaced."

Is that correct? I just wanted to get another opinion before i start searching to buy another set.

thanks guys.
The archive has a wealth of information, and the search box accepts two words = chrome trim etc.
(Image by 420SE)

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Chelsea,

As billabongo has said, polishing chrome is a tedious process. The old Zymol website said "Do not polish chrome, unless it is your vocation." When going through the Performance Products printed catalog, I saw these three products.

Autosol Easy Metal Polish - Part # 883052 $6.95

Autosol Polish

Nevr-Dull - Part # 802053 $6.95

Nevr-Dull

P21S Chrome Polish - Part # 802052 $9.95

P21S Chrome Polish

Try one of the above and see what happens. P21S has a good reputation. You can also try Wizard's stuff, mentioned earlier. I have never used any of the above. Thinking of buying P21S. If it works, then it saves you a lot of time and money. If not you will have to buy new window accents or do what billabongo and AxelWulff have said. Do not buy the chrome polish that is sold in Target or Wal-Mart. They don't work. I noticed that wirewool scratches the chrome.

And please do not paint your chrome around the windows, the same color as the car. It will look horrible. The car will look tacky. The crome gives it a special look. Keep us posted on which way you decide to go.

Ramesh.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I used Brasso and a polish wheel cam out nice. DO NOT POLISH THE GRILL it will come out worse or at least in my case.

???? Would it be cheaper to by a new grill or re-chrome what i have ???

·
Registered
298 Posts
new grill for sure. Chrome shops are not cheap..

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know what you mean, there are cloudy spots here and there on my Merc's trim. It doesn't only affect our vintage - my Mom and Dad bought an '07 Passat 4Motion wagon this spring... there is already cloudy spots on it's chrome. They are not happy campers, but they think they know what happened... car wash soap etched the coating on the chrome. Dad now handwashes the car!
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercedes Milky Crome Finish

Hi. I just bought a 2013 E400 Cabriolet which had/had the milky/cloudy finish on the chrome body trims. Read endless reviews on how to remove, mainly involving lots of elbow grease and buffing with very fine abrasives
I thought I'd try a few on my polishes and other things and as per all the the blogs absolutely no success. Then i found a 10 year old bottle of Meguiars Paint Cleaner. Even after a lot of shaking the cream would not mix with the clear liquid. Anyhow, gave it a try and no BS it cleaning the milky finish off with one wipe. This WORKS!!!! with little to no effort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can attest to Meguiar's doing the job on the anodized trim on my 300SD. But I used their Medium Cut Cleaner intended for paint and it took a LOT of elbow grease in my case even though the spotting on the trim was not all that bad. Made it look almost brand new though and didn't remove the anodized surface.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know that my way isn't the "right" way to make the chrome look good but it works and it has lasted over a month:
Spray some WD40 onto a soft cloth and wipe it onto the chrome. Looks better instantly.
As I said, not the right way but perfect for lazy people like me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts