Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ML350 SE (current); 05 ML350 SE & 99 ML320 (former)
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting my Lorinser rims Chrome Plated.

Anyone have any experiences with chrome plating your rims?
How long do they last before peeling, pitting, or scratches?
Whose who had it done, would you recommend that place?

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,181 Posts
John_L said:
I am thinking about getting my Lorinser rims Chrome Plated.

Anyone have any experiences with chrome plating your rims?
How long do they last before peeling, pitting, or scratches?
Whose who had it done, would you recommend that place?
I had done a greate deal of research into this before I did my 15" "new look" original wheels ; the bottom line is that you must be prepared to do constant cleaning and maintenance on them. I don't drive in the rain and I make certain that I clean brake dust off of them. I have read cases where they have lasted 10+ years looking new and cases where they last two and look horrible. It's all about the maintenance and usage conditions.

Chrome is very hard and unless you do a curb hit they will not scratch with normal use or cleaning with reasonable materials (soap, wax, soft towels, etc). However, thermal shock when driving in rain will contribute to peeling because the coefficient of expansion between aluminium and copper/ nickel/ chrome are all different.

I had mine done at chromeyourwheels. com; their prices are lower than many; They didn't polish the "holes" in my wheels but I'm not really certain that that was worth almost doubling the price. I don't think they do exchanges but a reasonably fast in returning them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Chrome

The thing with chrome is that it will be a matter of "when" your wheels will have finish issues and not "if". As far as the pitting, that part of it will be seen on day 1. When a wheel is plated, the original finish is first stripped. If there were any pits in the cast that were hidden by paint, they will now be visable. When the plating process is then done, the pits will show. I've never seen perfect chrome so far. Most of the wheels I've seen so far that have been plated in the states will have some very minor pitting, hopefully not anywhere on the wheel where it will be distracting. Which wheels do you have?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts