Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 03 SL500R and am looking for chrome or stainless steel trim for the hood and fender fins. Possibly fender, grill.headlights.and trunk as well. Nothing gaudy just an added touch of class. Most of the stuff I've found on the web is a glue-on application, which is unacceptable to me.
Thanks JRR230

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
705 Posts
Chrome Fin Covers

I was thinking about these. I have a newer look chrome grille on my '03. It has factory AMG Rims (Has the sports package) that the dealer Chrome Plated. So, my silver car is already a bit "chromed", so i think it would go well.

I was thinking about the fin covers from this website:

ForMyMercedes.com

Not doing any chrome trim otherwise, the headlights with chrome trim look gawdy IMHO, as does the fender trim. I think most Benz guys would agree. Most chrome "trim" reminds me of all the nissan maximas that the kids "pimped out" in the 90's with the ROLL of chrome trim that they put everywhere they could. Buh BLAH !

am trying to just update the look a "LITTLE" bit, maybe modernize it a little, without going overboard.

So far:

2 Bar chrome grille Mercedes R230 SL500 SL600 SL55 03~06 Grille Grill AMG B: eBay Motors (item 370449212950 end time Nov-23-10 03:23:53 PST)

clear corner / bumper lights:

03-06 Mercedes R230 SL CLEAR Bumper Lights+Chrome Bulbs: eBay Motors (item 150519602387 end time Dec-12-10 22:15:02 PST)

and CHROME amber blinkers for turn signal bulbs in headlight unit, instead of yellow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The grill on Ebay looks nice but they tell you to glue the star and the mesh to the grill with super glue and give no other installation instructions. Does the aftermarket grill use the original hardware for mounting?
BTW I'm not trying to "pimp my ride". My SL is black so chrome trim can be a nice contrast. I want it to be a little different from the others.
Thanks

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
705 Posts
Yes, you do have to glue the star on, no placement for snaps or tabs, weird, but i bought some epoxy or something and it looks good. I got the dark / "black" mesh option, and that was built into grille.

Looks good after installation, much better than factory grille. If factory grille was titanium like on the older SL's, that would be differnet. but in this case, the SL500 factory grille was plastic anyway, and had noticable rock chips, and two broken tabs.

This was an "affordable" and good looking option to update the grille, so I went with it .. LOL:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. The grill on Ebay looks nice but they tell you to glue the star and the mesh to the grill with super glue and give no other installation instructions. Does the aftermarket grill use the original hardware for mounting?
BTW I'm not trying to "pimp my ride". My SL is black so chrome trim can be a nice contrast. I want it to be a little different from the others.
Thanks

·
Registered
07 SL550
47 Posts
you might try performanceproducts.com as well. They can be slow on delivery if it happens to be out of stock because they get the parts from Germany. IMHO, I think, if done tastefully, it adds just enough extra to the car. I have yet to have anyone not rave about how beautiful it is compared to stock. We all have our opinions. If you get the headlight trim to cover the unsightly gap around the headlights be prepared to improvise for installation. There's a thread in this forum with recommendations for installing them without worry. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you might try performanceproducts.com as well. They can be slow on delivery if it happens to be out of stock because they get the parts from Germany. IMHO, I think, if done tastefully, it adds just enough extra to the car. I have yet to have anyone not rave about how beautiful it is compared to stock. We all have our opinions. If you get the headlight trim to cover the unsightly gap around the headlights be prepared to improvise for installation. There's a thread in this forum with recommendations for installing them without worry. :)
Thanks Psyclone,
performanceproducts.com had nothing to offer.
I don't want to sound stupid but I don't know what IMHO means.
Thanks for your response
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts