Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the R171 world here...don't even have one yet but am on the verge of placing an order for a '09.

I see a few running around out there with SL-like fender vents and chrome trim on the fender vent and hood cowl grilles. As far as I can tell, the R171 doesn't even have a fender vent, right? So a kit like this is a faux stick-on vent, right? No cutting of the fender?

http://parkplacemotorcars.stores.yahoo.net/slkchromefins.html

Normally I'm not big on faux non-functioning vents but these just look so good. Has anyone bought this kit? Happy with it? Any alternatives?

·
Registered
slk 200
56 Posts
Dear Matt,
Please don't buy the stick-on side vents vents they look so as we say in the UK "tacky"
kind regards Gundy

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
r171_matt, Welcome to the forum. Please add your location. I agree with Gundy that the phoney side vents are tacky.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...bummer. So nobody makes a kit that looks halfway decent? Shame...because in the pics I've seen out there of a few it looked alright but in real life it looks tacky? Had MB fitted the SLK with vents like the SL it'd fit the lines of the car so well.

The fins on the vents on the cowl look good though...maybe I'll just go w/those then...but if anyone does find or know of a fender kit that does look good, please post up a link...would love to see it.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
IMHO, It's not that they don't look good but rather that anyone that knows anything about the SLK knows that they are fake, IE: they aren't really vents. The chrome or aluminum wings on the cowl vents are standard on the SLK55AMG so they are a factory design. Ultimately, it will be your car so do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably just wait until I get a good look at the fender vents + trim in real life again and then decide although the ones on the hood I'll probably get for sure.

Just ordered the car on Tuesday (a combo that pretty much doesn't exist in dealer stock in the US)...it will be a '09 SLK300, white w/red interior, lighting package, heating package, 6-speed manual.:) Looking forward to its arrival although it probably won't be until August when it gets here.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 350
54 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably just wait until I get a good look at the fender vents + trim in real life again and then decide although the ones on the hood I'll probably get for sure.

Just ordered the car on Tuesday (a combo that pretty much doesn't exist in dealer stock in the US)...it will be a '09 SLK300, white w/red interior, lighting package, heating package, 6-speed manual.:) Looking forward to its arrival although it probably won't be until August when it gets here.
Love your color choices (same as mine :)). I've found that most dealer ordered cars do not have the lighting package and they never order cars with manual trannies.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've come across a couple other pics of the faux side vent and yeah I'm starting to now not like it so much (the fakeness is looking too obvious). Still diggin' the cowl/hood grill fins though so I'll probably be getting those for sure.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
The cowl fins look OK because they come standard on the SLK55AMGs. The stick on side vents look phoney because they are obviously add ons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts