Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the exhust tips of a 2004 SL500? I was cleaning them tonight and noticed the inner side of the exhust tip has a bronze color. I thought the entire tip was chrome. Look at the red arrows in my picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
tiggerfink - 3/28/2005 9:08 PM

Has anyone seen the exhust tips of a 2004 SL500? I was cleaning them tonight and noticed the inner side of the exhust tip has a bronze color. I thought the entire tip was chrome. Look at the red arrows in my picture.
I think you need the chrome polish and a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '03 SL500 has same appearance, as if the exhaust tips aren't actually "chromium" plated but rather "nickel" or other metal that doesn't seem to hold up to the heat as well; begins to look more like aluminum.......
Just another example of fading Mercedes quality....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Joel - 5/12/2005 8:02 PM

My '03 SL500 has same appearance, as if the exhaust tips aren't actually "chromium" plated but rather "nickel" or other metal that doesn't seem to hold up to the heat as well; begins to look more like aluminum.......
Just another example of fading Mercedes quality....
[:p]As Lovin said a little polish and elbow grease. Any chrome will tarnish when subjected to heat. Instead of rapping MB quality take some time to investigate the issue at hand. Have you ever seen the chrome exhaust on a mototcycle? It is tarnished, takes on a blue or bronze tint because of the heat.

Instead of being Ned Negative get your facts straight. If you really want to solve it go to your local Harley dealer, they have excellent chrome polish that is made specifically for exhausts.

·
Registered
05 SL55, 04 ML500, ML63 on order 997TT launch car on order
158 Posts
IKIRCHNER has it right. The blue color of a bike's pipes come from the higher temp of the exhaust, being so close to the engine. Blue relates to a temp of about 570 degrees F. The yellow brown,490, and spotted red brown 510. [^]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts