Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 model w210 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! which do you think should i get? im chossing between a 97 e50 amg and 99 e55 amg the price is almost the same my questions is which is more easier to tune or modify for performnce, which is more rare which is easier to maintain and which will have a higher price 5-10years from now??? thanks nedd your hel in here guys! thanks!!

·
Registered
1998 MB E55, BMW E34 540iA
17 Posts
The E50 and E55 are about even for HP (347 Vs 354) but the E55 has a significant torque advantage (480 Nm Vs 530 Nm) which it generates at lower RPM.
Others might disagree but in the real-world you'll be accessing (and enjoying) that seductive and effortless torque far more than the license shredding horsepower.​

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,785 Posts
The M113 has more aftermarket engine tuning parts that the M119 engine.

Welcome to the forum!

Chicky

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The M113 has more aftermarket engine tuning parts that the M119 engine.
Welcome to the forum!
Chicky
Tama pero have fun with it na lang... megabilis na yan lalo na para sa Pilipinas.:cool:
AMG components are bulletproof enough. Just maintain it well and enjoy it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Get the 99 E55 AMG but why not get 00-02 E55 AMG (pre-facelift) instead.
One should think that the moderator would know that the 00-02 is (ahem) "post" facelift..... :rolleyes:

Either way I'd do the 55 over the 50. Lots and lots and lots of enhancements.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
Yes youre are right Greg! I got mixed up with the pre and post facelift.

Post ka ng pictures pare pag nakuha mo na! enjoy!

·
Registered
99 model w210 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi guys i just test drove two amg e55s one silver 98 model 80k kms lots of options and accesories like wood amg steering wheel, wood amg shift lever knob, amg wood signed cover below the sterio, rear sunshade, amg floormats , amg side ster garnish

the other one all stock e55 amg 99model 33k kms. with blaupunkt stereo looks very fresh complete with service records,manual, fire extiguisher,firstaid .

whicch one should i get ??? they have almost the same price

·
Registered
02 E55T
29 Posts
Which did you end up getting?

I noticed this thread and am similarly in the market looking at a Cagayan-entered e430 wagon and an e50.

For PINOYK20, which e55 did you end up getting: the low mileage or the fully accessorised? How's the ownership experience in terms of maintenance in the Philippines?

The e55 is on an M113 engine, similar to that on the e430. Am however warned to stay away from wagons due to the rear hydraulic suspension...so now leaning on the e50.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
@SLEXRunner - Why stay away from the wagons? The self-leveling suspension isn't that complicated and it's not like you're dealing with ABC or Airmatic suspensions. Just have it checked for leaks and proper functionality. Oh the M113 in the E430 is still a big difference than the AMG-tuned M113... literally like a different kind of animal. ;)

I'd love to have an S210 E55, they are quite rare... wish the US market had them and if so one would be in my garage now.
But don't get me wrong, I'm beyond satisfied with the E55 sedan. :thumbsup:

Just get the best maintained and best shape W210 AMG you can find, whether E50 or the 55 you'll have lots of :D everyday!

·
Registered
'68 280SE (w108), '72 280SE 3.5(w108), '88 560SEL(w126), '97 E50 (W210
179 Posts
Just get the best maintained and best shape W210 AMG you can find, whether E50 or the 55 you'll have lots of :D everyday!
+1!:)

But if you prefer a bit more enhancements and features, a later model 210 AMG might be the ticket. One caveat though, more goodies means more stuff to fix when things go wrong. So buying on condition will always make better sense in the case of our beloved MBs.

But as long as you're tuned in to these nutcases in BW, things will never be as dark as they seem.:)

·
Registered
02 E55T
29 Posts
+1!:)

But if you prefer a bit more enhancements and features, a later model 210 AMG might be the ticket. One caveat though, more goodies means more stuff to fix when things go wrong. So buying on condition will always make better sense in the case of our beloved MBs.

But as long as you're tuned in to these nutcases in BW, things will never be as dark as they seem.:)

Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG
4 Posts
AMG E-50 dilemma

I was working over in Bahrain and owned a 1997 E-50. I have returned to the USA, and have not been able to sell the car. It was an embassy car in Japan, and I bought it at auction in Dubai for about $10,000 USD.

I have read the posts here about most or all of you preferring the E-55 because of the added torque/horses, and understand that from a performance perspective. However, I have some questions for you pros out there, as I am quite a novice on this car and need some expert advice:

1. There were less than 3000 E-50s manufactured in total, making this a much more rare car than the E-55. Doesn't that increase the value substantially? Out of approx 2800 produced world-wide in 1997, doesn't that make this a rare car (also how many can still be driving)?
2. I have heard that the engine in the E-50 is much beefier and more dependable than the E-55 engine. True?
3. I am considering importing the car to the USA, and that is quite a hassle, but I don't want to leave $10,000 rotting in the Middle East.
4. Any idea what the value of the car is? It has about 70k miles on it and is in really great condition. The answer to this one may determine my decision to try to import to the USA.

I would be truly grateful to anyone who could help me get some answers so I can decide on the fate of this car!

Thanks for any help you can give!

David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts