Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560sl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1987 560sl 110k miles

I had vibration in steering wheel at 60-70 mph. Had tires rebalanced vibration virtually gone.

After driving a 50 miles, (sounds like the front driver) wheel started chirping like something rubbing against wheel, rotor etc. Then when applying brakes a loud Screaching sound!!! Took off tire no visible signs of rubbing brake pads are good. Tire store thinks its just normal brake squeel and should go away.

The chirping sound is not always present only after driving the car for a few miles, getting the tires/brakes hot.

Could the tire store that rebalanced the wheels have hit the caliper or rotor that would cause this? Is there a special way the rim goes back on the car so maybe its not fitting correctly?

Again this Chirping and brake squeel only happens after the brakes and tires have been warmed up driven 5-10 miles.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
You got new pads? After I cleaned my rotors and calipers with copious amounts brake cleaner the brakes started to squeak like new so maybe something like that happened. If you put some miles aka dust back on everything maybe it will go away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1987 560sl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daryn-
No new pads no brake work done. The only work was taking the rims off and rebalancing the tires. The squeel started the next day. No one touched the brakes etc.

The worst is that it only happens once the brakes get hot like a warped rotor or something.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,202 Posts
We got a rental car once with toasted rotors once when you hit the brakes you could feel the wheel start to shimy. It was kind of scary to think someone would have road a set of rotors to that point.

I always try for the stupid stuff, good luck! I've gotten used to funny noises between the motorcycle and two old cars.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,927 Posts
Are you saying this chirping starts without stepping on breaks. When it starts you should get out of the car and feel the wheels see if one is hotter than the other. If you still cant find anything inspect and repack your wheel bearings with genuine MB grease.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Wheel bearings are something to make sure of. You might double check the wheel balance as well. Perhaps an anti squeal device was worn before the balance, and lost it's function?

·
Registered
1987 560sl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roncallo-

Yes the chirping starts first then the brake squeel. My Father in law felt the hubs and thought the driver center hub was hotter than the other side. He also felt the brakes, rotors and and did not feel any heat difference, btwn sides.

His suggestions was maybe bad bearings.? I wanted to check here for any other suggestions since he's never had an MB.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,927 Posts
Roncallo-

Yes the chirping starts first then the brake squeel. My Father in law felt the hubs and thought the driver center hub was hotter than the other side. He also felt the brakes, rotors and and did not feel any heat difference, btwn sides.

His suggestions was maybe bad bearings.? I wanted to check here for any other suggestions since he's never had an MB.
Depending on your mileage and service history it may just be a good idea to just replace the bearings. I recommend FAG bearings if you go with after market otherwise go with MB. So before you even start the job at least order 1 tube of grease and seals from MB. I would do this ASAP.

·
Registered
87 560sl, 85 500sl, 91 560sec, 81 300D, 85 300D Turbo, 94 E320
46 Posts
Ok...please indulge me - great info above, but how do I direct my mechanic to address this issue? Just inspect the bearings? (I get no brake squeal after things warm up, but I get a "chirp" while driving - often starts after hitting a rough road spot.

·
Registered
1980 450 SL
178 Posts
For one thing, I wouldn't rely on tire shop mechanics. I would take it to a dealership or a good independent Mercedes/foreign shop. Having said that, I would tell them to check the wheel bearings and that you suspect you need them repacked and new seals. The advice in this thread was intended for DIY work. A mechanic who knows what he's doing will be able to troubleshoot a lot better than anybody on a message board since he can look at it in person.

While we're on the subject - my independent mechanic checked my bearings and replaced one recently. He said it was in such bad shape that the wheel could have come off. Flash forward a few weeks. I switched from 14" to 15" wheels and got new tires put on at Merchant's. The mechanic there said the bearings were so loose that he couldn't check alignment, and wanted to charge $175 parts and labor to repack them and change the seals. I told them no thanks on the theory that I'd rather have the other mechanic deal with that stuff. The car was recently aligned anyway, so I doubt it needs it. Should I worry about the bearings or should I assume Merchant's was trying to fluff their price? I haven't noticed any issues. The car drives great.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,320 Posts
For one thing, I wouldn't rely on tire shop mechanics. I would take it to a dealership or a good independent Mercedes/foreign shop. Having said that, I would tell them to check the wheel bearings and that you suspect you need them repacked and new seals. The advice in this thread was intended for DIY work. A mechanic who knows what he's doing will be able to troubleshoot a lot better than anybody on a message board since he can look at it in person.

While we're on the subject - my independent mechanic checked my bearings and replaced one recently. He said it was in such bad shape that the wheel could have come off. Flash forward a few weeks. I switched from 14" to 15" wheels and got new tires put on at Merchant's. The mechanic there said the bearings were so loose that he couldn't check alignment, and wanted to charge $175 parts and labor to repack them and change the seals. I told them no thanks on the theory that I'd rather have the other mechanic deal with that stuff. The car was recently aligned anyway, so I doubt it needs it. Should I worry about the bearings or should I assume Merchant's was trying to fluff their price? I haven't noticed any issues. The car drives great.
Years ago I was buying tires for a Chevette at Firestone. After removing the wheels from the car, he advised me that the front brakes needed doing.
Funny, I said, I did them 4 months ago.

Back pedal, back pedal.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts