Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, should I live with this noise that the tech is telling me is normal? C'mon, cars are sposed to be quiet, not make any loud embarrasing chirp when ya take off from the motor compartment.

The tech insists its the belt to the clutch of the supercharger and there's nothing that can be done to fix it. He tells me that there's repair notes on the matter but no matter what they do, it will always come back. To be clear, if I'm cruising around also, after I come out of a coast and press on the gas again the car will chirp again putting it under load.

I think I'm going to take it to another MB dealership and see what they say. I'm just worried that they're going to try and screw me and say that its not warranty covered a month and a half after I get this car with 8 thousand miles on it.

What do you guys think? Does anyone else have this chirp?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
You are not alone, and neither are we.......

I questioned the same thing, it seems to have started just a little while ago.
Since I have been paying a little more attention to the chirp, I have also noticed it on the two E 55's and an SL 55 that I come in routine contact with. The SL is fairly new, with only about 8,000 miles on it. I don't believe it's the drive belt, I think it might be a bypass valve shutting down when we apply power. It seems to happen in approximately the same point in every car I have noticed it on.

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
The only chirping noise I hear at take-off seems to come from the tires :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
RE: You are not alone, and neither are we.......

My E55 had the SC belt chirp from 3000 miles plus. It was common for those cars and the S55 (blown) I've heard at a meet.

This is the first time I've heard the chirp problem on a blown 6, interesting...there's not much torque there compared to the blown 8's.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh this is terrible news. I'm glad you said what you did, cause now I don't feel so all alone and it gives some merrit to what the tech told me about it being common. BUT non the less, it shouldn't be happening. [:(]

Its like you got this beast on the street, so many people don't know what it is, you take them for a ride, you start off in this luxury car and CHIRP! You look at them and say, hehe, that's the supercharger clutch engaging telling you that is operating with boost. They look at you like... ya, tell me another one.

How 'MBerrasing!

·
Registered
slk32amg
80 Posts
normal i'm told, seems that way too

I was also concerned when it first started at 3k miles but reading this forum reassured me that it is a benign sc belt engagement noise (since other slk32's were expereiencing the same). my recomm: don't mess with it. Just document it with the dealer and think of it as a friend who reminds you when it's time to smile [:)]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: normal i'm told, seems that way too

This seems to be a pretty common problem on the SC'd V8's. There are a variety of fixes. If you go to the other board and do a search on SC Chirp you should find a good number of posts.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 430, I found something that sounds like it will help, I'll do a copy and paste in a new post for everyone to read. If you found something better brotha, please, feel free to load it up. [;)][:)]

You guys have been so much help so far. I can't believe that I've gone through what I've already gone through with just 10,000 miles.

I do have to say in defense of the car, its still an amazing car. So powerfull it can scare ya.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just tell people

Just tell people it's a blow-off valve. [:D]

I tried to deal with it with my E55...but ultimately it was one of my annoyances with it.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
SHOULDA BOUGHT AN AUTOMATIC

H AHA BHA HA HAH

FINALLY IM ABLE TO THROW IT IN YOUR DAMN FACES! I DONT HAVE A CHIRP U SILLY BASTARDS

im just playin my car is slow lol......auto sigh

I lookup to you all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts