Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing about 10 mph sometimes i hear a chirp sound that increases/decreases speed along with the speed of the car... so im thinking it's got to be something with the wheels/axles or something.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
S600 C140 1994
537 Posts
- Low power steering oil level.
- Worn/bad ball joint.
- Worn/bad wheel bearing.
- Worn/bad belt in from of the engine.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
In addition to what Jonathan said, you may want to check your thermo-viscous clutch and its bearing. The belt tensioner bearing and other belt bearings are suspects, or the drive belt itself may be worn and thus slipping. Whatever, do not put any belt dressing on the drive belt to increase grip because it will pick up dirt which will eventually get into the grooves of your pulleys.
The chirping can drive a person crazy and it is an indication that something is wrong and the problem will only get worse.

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
Worn brake pads?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,383 Posts
I think that you have to experiment a little...

To separate if the noise is from your wheels or engine/transmission, roll the windows down and try moving at 10 mph in neutral. If it is from the wheels, you may have to jack up the car and spin each one in turn.

Of course, a visual inspection of the underside may show you an object has been picked up from the road and is now touching a wheel.

I drove over a fallen branch on a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years back. A piece of this popped up and jammed in a rear wheel such that it was touching the tire. It damned near gouged the side wall before I could safely stop and remove it.

·
Registered
S600 C140 1994
537 Posts
Also check if a rock small enough to fit between the break disc and the beak disc cover is stuck there.

If a small rock is stuck against the beak disc you will here a sharp, screaming sound. The rock can come lose by reversing the car and steer left and right.

This cause will not last long. A few days at most.
The rock gets worn and falls off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts