Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
S600L
541 Posts
Where did you manage to obtain it from as I have searched all over the place ?How much and will it fit on a '92 model ?What power gains does it state for the chip ?[:)]

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
I was curious about the PowerChip. For my '97 S500, they list an increase in HP from 315 to 331 and a torque increase from 347 to 367- using 91 octane gas. Has anyone used this chip? What can I expect in terms of reliability of the tranny? Are these gains really worth the almost $900 bill. Any insight would be appreciated.
Paul

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
i think these chips are way over priced to gain 30hp. Is it worth it? I always prefer to leave everything stock, tires radio ect. However we all have our different needs and views of how our cars should feel like. If you ask me personnaly in my opinion this is way over priced for a gain of 30hp. These chips probably cost them fraction of the cost theyre selling for, however they probably did the programming and thats what your paying for. still way too much. I would rather buy an ipod with a 60 gb hardrive or maybe a gps system for that kind of cash. Only a personnal opinion here.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bass1175 - 4/18/2005 8:02 PM

i think these chips are way over priced to gain 30hp. Is it worth it? I always prefer to leave everything stock, tires radio ect. However we all have our different needs and views of how our cars should feel like. If you ask me personnaly in my opinion this is way over priced for a gain of 30hp. These chips probably cost them fraction of the cost theyre selling for, however they probably did the programming and thats what your paying for. still way too much. I would rather buy an ipod with a 60 gb hardrive or maybe a gps system for that kind of cash. Only a personnal opinion here.
Welcome to the unaceptable face of capitalism...

and of course your Benz is nice cheap runabout ??

I have not said how much I paid for them..However..
I will first get my BENZ on a dyno..then fit the chips and compare.. IF there is a reasonable improvement then I will let you all in on the price.. but till then..
I will take the risk..so you dont have to..

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
537 Posts
I was going by the pricing pchansen provided and he is correct it is $840 without taxes for his vehcle for an increase of 15 hp. That just doesnt sound right, i wouldnt touch it. if you take your spare tire out, I think youll achieve the same gain. you are right though merc its a supply and demand issue and theyre just hicking the prices till another company sells them for 150 on ebay.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chips with EVERYTHING

pchansen1 - 4/17/2005 4:48 PM

I was curious about the PowerChip. For my '97 S500, they list an increase in HP from 315 to 331 and a torque increase from 347 to 367- using 91 octane gas. Has anyone used this chip? What can I expect in terms of reliability of the tranny? Are these gains really worth the almost $900 bill. Any insight would be appreciated.
Paul
Pete... I did not pay anything like that figure.. The guy I bought from has the chips for your car.. But as you will know I will only recomend the upgrade when I have tried .. and tested it for myself .. so I can say yes or no...
As you know I am reluctant to recomend the "snakeoil" quick fix..
it will take a few days .. but
I will give an balanced report back as soon as I know anything

·
Registered
1997 S500
281 Posts
Yeah I was actually scratching my head a bit as to why of if anyone had taken the plunge. The power gained is equivalent to about 5.4%. Big deal. I think my $840 will be better served replacing lower ball joints and anything else that has come loose after 100,000 miles.
Paul

PS I am curious as to how your particular chip works out and how much it ended up costing you.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chips with CHANGE..

Suffice to say I did not get them from the guys FRANK recomends..My pockets may have "deep" written on them, but the word "foolish" dissapeared some time ago...

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
I got a Wetterauer chip 2 years ago when I lived in South Bend, Indiana. There is a German company "Wetterauer" in Valparaiso. I went to visit them, and got to chat with them, and they wanted to promote their chips, so I said what the heck. They installed the chip in my 1995 S420 for $350. I have never put it on the dyna, but the manufacturer claimed 25 HP and 25 ft-lb torque. I surely could tell the difference in the acceleration. Loafing on the highway at 70 mph, I also get 26-28 mpg from my beast!!! For $300 it is worth it. For $800, I'd pass.

·
Registered
1995 s500 sedan
106 Posts
I use that chip, its an ebay chip for 70$ and there is an improvment, they just copy the power chip and sell it as their own. you really do feel a diffrence.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These are definitely not copied from power chip. My indy pro told me that theirs are not the same as the power chip. I also used the power chip in the past and these chips are better. I am now using them on my 95 E500 and my wife’s 93 500SL. My brother did same for his S500 chip and helped sell his car FAST! I like the performance feel and also like the price. I never did any dyno tests but can feel the difference and that’s all I was after. I paid around $85 each and I think they sell the V12 chip for twice that much. In my opinion it is worth the small investment.. Hick I think I paid nearly the same to have K&N air filters installed![:D]

·
Registered
1998 S420; 1995 S500
8 Posts
There is a gentleman named Jim Forgione who sells PAD powerchips for 92-95 V8 W140 for $125. I can't remember his website off hand, but a google search for his name would probably do the trick. I bought one, installed it myself (using the instructions provided) and the results were fantastic - great gain in horsepower and torque and just a small decrease in mpg. Felt like a whole new engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my case the Mercedes Hiperformance chips I installed on my V8s and bought from eBay they not only provide me with noticeable higher power and torque but also my gas consumption is better than before by about 10% in my assessment. These guys have a rating of over 500 satisfied customers from what eBay shows on their ratings section. They also offer 1 year warranty which is more reassuring while many performance suppliers do not do that.

A coworker who just bought their V12 set for his 92 600SEL swears by those chips now and extremely happy.. I think he paid around $200 including s/h.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts