Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago a rock on the highway chipped my windshield. The insurance company paid to have it "fixed".

I had read and believed that the repairs performed were pretty good, only leaving a slight deformation.

Boy was I wrong! All the guy did pretty much was fill the crack/chip with some sort of adhesive (crazy glue[?]) and then scrape off the remainder to make it flush with the windshield.

Needless to say I'm not really thrilled about the results. I called the dealer and left message asking how much it would cost to replace the windshield, but they never got back to me.

I don't really want to replace the windshield for a couple of reasons, $500 deductible, fear of even higher insurance rates, and most importantly, I'm scared the job won't be done right. I had the windshield replaced on my Saturn a few years back and they did a really crappy job.

By the way, the chip is right in the drivers field of view. So what would you do?

·
Registered
2004 SLK32 AMG
807 Posts
That sucks. I know the feeling. I've had three chipped/cracked windshields in the past few years. All of them happened in less than 2 miles of each other. I think I am on number 4, 2nd time for my Yukon. I'm just leaving it be for now. None on the 32 but I always cringe driving that stretch of road.

I've seen some good repairs but it seems to depend on the "shape" of the chip as much as who does it. More of them a pretty visible. There is a maximum size that can be filled. I've opted to get a new windshield in each case. Never had an effect on my rates. Are you sure about the deductible? Usually there is a special clause for windshields at a much lower deductible. In my case, it is $100. The company that did the jobs on my vehicles have a pretty good warranty, so I have no complaints.

Good luck. Believe me I know how annoying that is. I couldn't take one directly in front of me.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Bite the bullet and get it replaced.
Mine was 428.00.

When you make an insurance claim your just taking a loan out with them. Better to finance it yourself.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
I suggest you check your policy or with your agent. I know insurance varies widely, but here in Minnesota virtually all policies have special provisions for glass - there is no deductable.

If insurance paid once they must beleive the claim to be valid. If the fix is no good they should be willing topay for a replacement. At least that would be my argument.

It won't hurt to ask, will it?

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
If it is in the drivers field of view I am surprised they fixed it. If you were in an accident you could argue that it was due to impaired visibility due to the windsheild repair.

Your rates will not go up due to the claim. Unless you have a number of other claims then it might be enough for the insurance company to take action. But in general you don't have to worry about it.

Laws very by state as to safety glass and its replacement. In South Carolina they have to replace Safety Glass on cars without you paying your deductible.

I understand you hesitation about getting the windsheild fixed. I have had multiple windsheilds replaced in the past and they never looked quite right, you could always tell they were not factory. That being said the dealer is probably the safest bet for getting the correct glass, but also the most expensive option.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SledDog - 3/2/2005 10:54 PM

There is a maximum size that can be filled. I've opted to get a new windshield in each case. Never had an effect on my rates. Are you sure about the deductible? Usually there is a special clause for windshields at a much lower deductible. In my case, it is $100. The company that did the jobs on my vehicles have a pretty good warranty, so I have no complaints.

Good luck. Believe me I know how annoying that is. I couldn't take one directly in front of me.
I know there is a maximum size, I usually hear the size of a quarter, well, my chip was about the size of a dime.

No I'm not sure about the deductible. I guess I'm a little gunshy after my pothole incident in the past. I'll have to call and ask about it today.

Bite the bullet and get it replaced.
Mine was 428.00.

When you make an insurance claim your just taking a loan out with them. Better to finance it yourself.
$428 for the SLK?

Never thought about it that way, sadly it makes sense.

It won't hurt to ask, will it?
No it won't.

If it is in the drivers field of view I am surprised they fixed it.
Actually, the glass guy didn't want to do it. Well, he didn't mind doing the repair, but he knew beforehand that I would not be satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
I've found that I can do a better job with an $8 kit from the auto parts store than any of these guys do at the side of the road with their impressive little devices. There's enough glue for about 6 repairs, too.

The key is to pull a strong enough vacuum on the chip and any starring cracks so that the glue will totally fill the fractures to their very tips. Any air gap in there, and you'll see it and it will eventually start spreading a crack again. I pull a vacuum several times until absolutely no more air bubbles come out of the chip/crack. Then it usually works for me.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
My dad used to have to drive up from rochester to the cities and back every day...about 80 miles, and got 3 windshield cracks i think. The first two or three were covered by insurance with no deductible, but there is a limit to how many they will repair. BTW this was in the days before the SLK.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts

I understand you hesitation about getting the windsheild fixed. I have had multiple windsheilds replaced in the past and they never looked quite right, you could always tell they were not factory. That being said the dealer is probably the safest bet for getting the correct glass, but also the most expensive option.
I think it really depends on a guy who is doing the job.I heard some people were very happy with their replacements.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts

I think it really depends on a guy who is doing the job.I heard some people were very happy with their replacements.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
cvayala,
Sorry to hear about your windshield. I replaced mine in my 32 last month due to a chip that became a crack while parked in a warm garage. I worked with (demanded) my insurance use factory glass installed by a dealership instead of their glass company. Total cost was $1700 and insurance paid all but my $500 deductable and the difference between their estimate of $64.00/hr for 4 hours and the dealerships charge of $99.00/hr. I am happy with the quality of the replacement. Good luck with yours.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I talked to my insurance today (Progressive) and was told that they wouldn't pay for the whole thing. I'd have to pay my $500 deductible.

They also said their records show that it can be done for about $400 dollars, so I would be better off just getting it done myself without them.

I don't know, I'm still thinking about it. Money is tight right now, and I am still worried about it not being done right. We'll see. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
cvayala - 3/4/2005 12:16 AM

Well, I talked to my insurance today (Progressive) and was told that they wouldn't pay for the whole thing. I'd have to pay my $500 deductible.

They also said their records show that it can be done for about $400 dollars, so I would be better off just getting it done myself without them.

I don't know, I'm still thinking about it. Money is tight right now, and I am still worried about it not being done right. We'll see. Thanks for the replies.
Cvayala you were in the Navy how can you not have USAA as your insurance provider? I have used them for ~15 years and they are fantastic.

If money is tight I would just hold off for a bit. It is not like it is going to cost you any additional money by waiting.

I do agree that it all depends on the installer and you can get a very good job elsewhere besides the dealer. On the other hand I know a number of people that, myself included that have used glass replacement services and have just not been happy with the job.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
430 - 3/3/2005 3:09 AM

...you were in the Navy how can you not have USAA as your insurance provider? I have used them for ~15 years and they are fantastic.

If money is tight I would just hold off for a bit. It is not like it is going to cost you any additional money by waiting.

I do agree that it all depends on the installer and you can get a very good job elsewhere besides the dealer. On the other hand I know a number of people that, myself included that have used glass replacement services and have just not been happy with the job.
Let's just say I don't have the cleanest of driving records.[:D] So I didn't want to risk changing insurance companies before. When I got back to California I tried to go USAA but they wouldn't take me. I tried again last renewal still no go, I'll check again in April.

Yeah, I'm just going to take a wait and see approach.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
430 - 3/4/2005 8:09 AM

cvayala - 3/4/2005 12:16 AM

Cvayala you were in the Navy how can you not have USAA as your insurance provider? I have used them for ~15 years and they are fantastic.

I thought I had a windshield clause on my USAA policy. $50 deductible or something like that?!?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Depends on your coverage. With my insurace company after I talked to the rep I fond out I dont have to pay a deductable on glass repair. I had someone bust out my back window in my truck to try and steal my paintball gun.

The back window was $600 because it was 3 pieces with a sliding window in the middle. I didnt pay a dime and my rates didnt go up at all.

--Might wanna call and talk to them and level with the guy/girl. "Hey I drive a benz and the repair looks like crap, what would you do ya know!" 9 times outta 10 if you can get the person at the company to go to bat for you magic happens.

--deathy

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
I have USAA and had to pay $700 out of pocket for a factory replacment installed at the dealership. This was done in Atlanta, GA. Maybe there was a better way?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
USAA (Texas policy) says this about auto glass:

"The deductible will be waived for loss to glass that can be repaired rather than replaced. In cases where the repair proves unsuccessful and the glass must be replaced, the full amount of the deductible, if any, must be paid."

I have always had them repair chips in my windshield using their recommended shops. It ends up being a cashless exercise for me, the glass shop is pre-approved by USAA and USAA pays them directly. The overall results have varied from just OK to me not being able to tell where the chip/crack was. Repairs have never affected my rates. The SLK I just bought has a repair in the windshield (low center) which is annoying but not enough for me to pay for a new windshield. I have also had several windshields replaced (in various autos) over the years with results from excellent to not great (read obvious replacement). Although I have never had a replacement leak, they just don't look quite as good as the original. I'm afraid that with as low to the road as these cars are, more rock chips are going to be a fact of life (especially around here).

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
16falcon - 3/4/2005 6:53 PM

USAA (Texas policy) says this about auto glass:

"The deductible will be waived for loss to glass that can be repaired rather than replaced. In cases where the repair proves unsuccessful and the glass must be replaced, the full amount of the deductible, if any, must be paid."
Depends on the state. In SC USAA is required by law to replace glass without requiring your deductible to be met.

I have not looked at my policy very closely since I moved to Atlanta.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
430 - 3/4/2005 7:29 PM

Depends on the state. In SC USAA is required by law to replace glass without requiring your deductible to be met.

I have not looked at my policy very closely since I moved to Atlanta.
Same here in Florida; no deductable on windshield replacement.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts