Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Some plates, some plates with winche plates bolted to the front. It seems like you could bolt a big plate to the front with new ears (on both sides) and the other contours cut out. No fabrication really, just a plate. Everything else stays the same.

It looks like there are 4 bearing pads, two high and two low. Maybe drill, or drill and tap, two holes up top (as on the winch plates) to secure the plate to the area of the top pads and use the existing holes on the bottom.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Truck
Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Blue Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle registration plate
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,205 Posts
Man I wish I lived within 500 miles of you, we would fix that and then have a good pils.

Nickel rod and OxyFuel for cast, cool it in sand. Once it is repaired, we would find source of the stress that broke it, maybe hi/lo spots in the casting?

Definitely fixable.

C

Reactions: TRUKTOR and yarr

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
3,205 Posts
New forum feature: load new posts… apparently it is not enough to just click next anymore…

Nice work!

C.

Reactions: yarr

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Man I wish I lived within 500 miles of you, we would fix that and then have a good pils.

Nickel rod and OxyFuel for cast, cool it in sand. Once it is repaired, we would find source of the stress that broke it, maybe hi/lo spots in the casting?

Definitely fixable.

C
About the source of stress, I'm getting kind of idea.
I remember that side had a bit of bent inward. Even the guy who welded it pointed out that both ends didn't line up,
so adjusted it, by placing a new piece a bit to the front.
I think that bent was on purpose, to hold better the nut in place, and not slip off the end. PO did this. Unfortunately, that was a source of stress.
I've found out the hooks of the plow have too much of a play to the sides in the pockets of Bauplatte, about 1/2" each way, so by moving one way
the bolt and nut will hold only the tip of that end and that increases bending moment. Add -25°C and catch on the curb...
I'm gonna make spacers to keep the frame of the plow exactly in the center of the Bauplatte.
And yes, the guy used nickel rods for welding.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've found the old photo, it shows that bent end on the passenger side.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Tread

·
Registered
1970 411.119 Mystery Mog, 1979 L-1116 Flatbed, 1975 L-1113 Box
494 Posts
Makes you wonder what bent it like that in the old pic. Good work on the repair.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The vehicle has changed owners a few times before I bought it, serving always on oil patches,
probably operated by unqualified drivers, not knowing how exactly EPC transmission works and abusing it.
At about 160K km this vehicle had already rebuilt the engine and transmission. That should say something.
It's a bit sad when they decide to stop performing proper maintenance and let the vehicle slowly die.
I've fixed a lot already but there are still things that require attention.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts