Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo I just replaced the starter, which managed to work all 11 months, and ready to go plowing again and noticed my snowplow is kinda loose on the passenger side.
Took the 38mm ratchet to tighten the implement to the Bauplatte and was I ever surprised.
The question is: is it fixable? Went to the welding shop and got them flabbergasted. They may try but they would like to know what material are they dealing with.
Of course, it is cast but is it iron or steel? How to approach it. And no I don't have a missing piece. It is somewhere on 3.5 acres in the snow.
Any suggestions ideas?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Asphalt
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Leg Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just sent an email to Neil from Merex. Hopefully, he can get me some info on this material.

·
Registered
1250v
690 Posts
That is a strange break. A little grinding on the broken section should tell them what material they are working with. A test bead of weld on the exposed metal would also be a good idea just to see how it welds.

We usually pre heat something like this if we are unsure it its hardened steel. This helps avoid weld cracking if you are dealing with a brittle material.

Last thing if there is a shop around that has it we use 11018 welding rod, instead of 7018 rod for hardened steels. It's a higher strength weld and seems to hold up really well without cracking.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this end was already a little bent inwards when I bought the truck.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
Let's see, 3.5 acres dragging a recovery magnet would probably take less time than 3.5 acres with a metal detector, especially if you factored in the last place where you were making the big pushes...

Sometimes metal detecting clubs look for stuff for beer....

It would be nice to get that chunk back. I've had luck recovering shackles and pins that rattled off of the tractor by walking along the road with a magnet on a telescopic rod....but if the snow is too deep and packed....well, you'd know if it is in the realm of possibility or not.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Response from Merex is:
"A repair is not advisable/recommended", which is pretty obvious, and I'm not surprised.
Replacement is the best way.

·
Registered
'91 U1250 '02 U500NA
3,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Let's see, 3.5 acres dragging a recovery magnet would probably take less time than 3.5 acres with a metal detector, especially if you factored in the last place where you were making the big pushes...

Sometimes metal detecting clubs look for stuff for beer....

It would be nice to get that chunk back. I've had luck recovering shackles and pins that rattled off of the tractor by walking along the road with a magnet on a telescopic rod....but if the snow is too deep and packed....well, you'd know if it is in the realm of possibility or not.
There are 3.5 acres of parking lot again covered with snow plus two massive piles ( 20'x40'x9') of snow as well.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
I think I’d take a look outside of the box, maybe.
If you had the missing piece, then welding would make sense, and that might still be the best solution.

But, since the hole for the bolt is what you need,
I wonder if you can fabricate a plate with the hole reproduced in it, which comes in from the backside ?

It might be able to bolt on using existing holes in the
Bauplate, holes available on the mounting brackets,
Or maybe it sandwiches the plate.

Just thinking of a way to recreate the missing contours of the hole without actually welding to the plate.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
13,015 Posts
OK, just for grins.
-The face of the bauplate needs to stay flush, for the plow to mate up, right ?
-The whole bauplate needs to maintain its relationship to the front of the truck, staying square to the frame and so on.

I don't have the truck or the plate in my house, so this idea might not work in the real world.
I am just thinking that trying to fix it by welding might work like a charm, or it might be tricky and frustrating.

So, since you just need to add the missing ear back, I wonder if you might do it from the backside.

The yellow represents a plate.This might be 1/2" thick, and it may have to span the whole width of the bauplate on the backside, so it picks up both bolts (or however many there are), and the bauplate moves forward 1/2" evenly.

Then, the red line represents the cut, where you remove the broken part of the ear.

The blue box represents a chunk of plate, the same thickness as the bauplate, which is welded to the 1/2" plate. The ear would be recreated, you would not have to worry about welding to the bauplate, and the passenger side anchor point for the plow would be intact.

The unknowns to me are what is going on between the bauplate and the UNIMOG as it sits. It might be that the bauplate moves forward 1/2" with the plate, and 1/2" thick spacers / washers space out the bauplate at other (Bolted ?) points to keep the original registration.
Just thinking.

Tire Wheel Tread Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

·
Unimog Moderator
13,734 Posts
When Unimogshop .com was a thing, there was a brand new U500 Bauplatte listed for sale in North America, not sure where it ended up.

·
Registered
1250v
690 Posts
I like the idea of plating the entire hitch if needed for extra strength. How hard would it be to move the pockets forward to make up the thickness of the liner plate?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts