Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1991 560sl / 1987 300TDT / 1995 E300D / 1994 S350D / 1993 300SD /Cummins Diesel PU /2 airplanes
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chinese axle's worked perfectly for 157 miles.
Not 157k ...157 miles total.
While driving moderately on level pavement all of a sudden there was no connection between the engine/trans and the rear wheels. Specifically the driver side rear.

Here are some pics; comparing the OEM Mercedes and the Chinese one.
What appears to have happened is that the CV's are not the right size and the inner race gets pushed or pulled right out of the outer race and then just spins. Once out it will not go back in.

My originals don't look so great either but at least they are a very robust design. On the OEM shown the boot was still intact with no leaks with 220,000 miles. All the other boots have cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,469 Posts
Looking at the difference in the marking size, I'd say it was out of round as well.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,990 Posts
That's crappy,
Thanks for putting your $ on the line so we all know what the quality is like.

·
Registered
1995 E320 sedan, 1991 Porsche 964, 2004 Porsche 986
450 Posts
Damn. I wasn't expecting them to last a long time but that is ridiculous. :eek:

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Thanks for the update, pleased nothing else went wrong as a result.

Mine click when shifting from forward to reverse, I see a circlip in the pictures and was wonding if there is a kit you can buy to stop the clicking or is it a mater of replacing the whole unit, can anyone advise........??

·
Banned
1991 560sl / 1987 300TDT / 1995 E300D / 1994 S350D / 1993 300SD /Cummins Diesel PU /2 airplanes
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the update, pleased nothing else went wrong as a result.

Mine click when shifting from forward to reverse, I see a circlip in the pictures and was wonding if there is a kit you can buy to stop the clicking or is it a mater of replacing the whole unit, can anyone advise........??
The circlip holds the inner bearing race in place on a splined shaft. I guess one could replace that part but replacing half a bearing surface wouldn't help much. It may be hard to see in the photos but the vast majority of the wear is on the outer ring bearing channel
. I.would say in decending order to get new ones
, get used with very low miles,
get rebuilt FROM REPUTABLE VENDOR,,
re-boot your own and install on opposite sides if bearings are okay.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
Sorry to hear that but it wasn't totally unexpected. It looks to me like there is a noticable difference in the metallurgy of the two as well. Just be happy it didn't happen @ autobahn speeds!

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Thanks for posting this it pretty much re-affirmed what I have always believed about Chinese/Taiwanese parts.

At least there wasn't much damage.

Like I said... mine were used and $110 so I'd go that route.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
Damn - I had between 80 and 90 miles in the pool.
Damn Damn Damn

Thank Goodness no major damage Rudolf !

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
Unfortunate
In my business we run into fully forged Chinese material certifications and mill certs. In a nutshell even when we get the material spec we are doubtful.

As noted, The part looks suspect as far as metallurgy. This is a critical aspect of the Chinese part performance and durability issues.

·
Registered
W124
5,176 Posts
Wow; even a warranty replacement would be undesireable. Which company is providing these? Want to avoid them. OEM is looking better all the time.

·
Banned
Mercedes W124
23,569 Posts
Will you return them under the warranty, I know if they send replacements they'll probably be as bad.:(

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,725 Posts
Unfortunate
In my business we run into fully forged Chinese material certifications and mill certs. In a nutshell even when we get the material spec we are doubtful.

As noted, The part looks suspect as far as metallurgy. This is a critical aspect of the Chinese part performance and durability issues.
In defense of Chinese durability, I still use Chinese wrench/socket set I bought 30 years ago in Europe. Like it pretty much because wrenches are smaller outside and will go into places no Craftsman wrench will ever go. I broke few of them over the years, but I broke tens of Craftsman screwdrivers and ratchets as well. Main reason I don't break Craftsman wrenches a lot is because they don't fit in small places on cars.
So it is not the supplier that can't deliver quality. It is the buyer that wants cheaper parts.

·
Banned
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, you hijackers ;)
Back to the shaft. You WILL get the shaft from a company called FEQ. What's their moto ...FEQ_U?

First Equipment Quality. Made these shit shafts.

As far as tools....well it depends on the job you are doing. I like Hazet, Snap-on, S Willie, etc...I pronoun have more Snap-On than others just cause of the trucks and ease of replacement plus the cost!!!!! Not that Snap-On is cheaper.
But for some other jobs I'll use Craftsman, HF or others I won't hate losing etc...

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
NO NO mistah Zeiterghost - u breaky part you not install kollectly !
we makee many many goodee part for Mursaydes Bennie.
you bad man you blake you blake ! :mad:

·
Registered
W124 E420 : W220 S500 : W222 S550
402 Posts
Hey......... They make IPhones there......I certainly don't mean to imply 100%....... Just 99.9.......
In defense of Chinese durability, I still use Chinese wrench/socket set I bought 30 years ago in Europe. Like it pretty much because wrenches are smaller outside and will go into places no Craftsman wrench will ever go. I broke few of them over the years, but I broke tens of Craftsman screwdrivers and ratchets as well. Main reason I don't break Craftsman wrenches a lot is because they don't fit in small places on cars.
So it is not the supplier that can't deliver quality. It is the buyer that wants cheaper parts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts