Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

China's state-run TV tries to put a positive spin on toxic haze. Nice try, guys, nice try

By Emily Rauhala / Beijing Dec. 09, 2013

Buildings in Lianyungang, China, are shrouded in smog on Dec. 8, 2013​

You can’t make this stuff up. On Sunday, with swaths of eastern China shrouded in a polluted haze, Chinese state media decided to release a list of five “surprising benefits” of smog. Here, courtesy of Wang Lei, an editor for China Central Television’s website, are five good things about bad air:

1. It unifies the Chinese people.
2. It makes China more equal.
3. It raises citizen awareness of the cost of China’s economic development.
4. It makes people funnier.
5. It makes people more knowledgeable (of things like meteorology and the English word haze).

I’d like to think the piece as well-intentioned satire. Perhaps it was. But the article, which has since been pulled, was followed by another piece of pollution promotion. On Monday, the Global Times published a piece that said air pollution might help the Chinese military by obscuring sight lines, reducing the effectiveness of surveillance and weapons systems.

For the most part, China’s netizens were not impressed. “It is a public tragedy that half of China is engulfed in smog, wrote one. “We should not entertain ourselves by this tragedy.” Wrote another: “The smog weather makes CCTV much stupider. They always treat us as fools.”

But there was a rare point of agreement on item No. 4. China’s official attitude to smog is, indeed, a joke.

Read more: China's Smog Has Benefits, State Media Outlet Says | TIME.com China's Smog Has Benefits, State Media Outlet Says | TIME.com

·
Registered
62,305 Posts

(Reuters) - Commentaries by two of China's most influential news outlets suggesting that the country's air pollution crisis was not without a silver lining drew a withering reaction on Tuesday from internet users and other media.

In online commentaries on Monday, state broadcaster CCTV and the widely read tabloid the Global Times, published by the Communist Party's official People's Daily, both tried to put a positive spin on China's smog problem.

The Global Times said smog could be useful in military situations, as it could hinder the use of guided missiles, while CCTV listed five "unforeseen rewards" for smog, including helping Chinese people's sense of humor.

While both pieces have since been deleted from their websites, Chinese newspapers lost little time in denouncing their point of view, in an unusual case of state media criticizing other state media, showing the scale of the anger.

"Is the smog supposed to lift if we laugh about it?" wrote the Beijing Business Today, published by the city government's official Beijing Daily. "Smog affects our breathing. We hope it does not affect our thinking."

The Dongguan Times, from a heavily industrial city close to the border with Hong Kong, said CCTV's comments were so bizarre people did not know "whether to laugh or cry".

"There's nothing funny about the health dangers of smog," it wrote.

Even the main Xinhua news agency - which had initially picked up CCTV's commentary - weighed in, writing on one of its official microblogs late on Monday that it was "totally inappropriate" to make fun of air pollution.

China state media under fire for arguing benefits of smog | Reuters

What assholes.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
How did I know they would do this hehe:D

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,662 Posts
Still better than the average Prius driver.

·
Registered
'91 M1A1 Abram's Tank
2,538 Posts
Remind me of the clean coal commercials we had during bush. "CO2 is GOOD plants breath it! Help the environment with CO2!" They actually said that.

·
52,804 Posts
Remind me of the clean coal commercials we had during bush. "CO2 is GOOD plants breath it! Help the environment with CO2!" They actually said that.
Yesterday the air was good but not very good, last night I went to take the dogs out and came straight back in, I would not let the dogs breath that shit in and these loonies are telling people it has a good side?? All guberments are really that stupid that they think the people are stupid.

·
Always Remembered RIP
9,476 Posts
Yesterday the air was good but not very good, last night I went to take the dogs out and came straight back in, I would not let the dogs breath that shit in and these loonies are telling people it has a good side?? All guberments are really that stupid that they think the people are stupid.
What makes you think the air doesn't come inside?

·
52,804 Posts
What makes you think the air doesn't come inside?
Of course it comes inside but it is filtered by the air conditioning system and so not so noticeable, not like I have the patio door and windows wide open is it.

On that particular night once I got out of the lift on the first floor I could smell it and the fog was hanging at ground level,I could only see a few feet.

With heavy fog outside have you ever seen fog in the house:rolleyes: If you have then you must live in a fucking barn.

·
Always Remembered RIP
9,476 Posts
Of course it comes inside but it is filtered by the air conditioning system and so not so noticeable, not like I have the patio door and windows wide open is it.

On that particular night once I got out of the lift on the first floor I could smell it and the fog was hanging at ground level,I could only see a few feet.

With heavy fog outside have you ever seen fog in the house:rolleyes: If you have then you must live in a fucking barn.
Of course not - it condenses on the crockery.

·
Registered
'91 M1A1 Abram's Tank
2,538 Posts

Still some of that particulate shit is very small, and alot of vapours will go through filters. That would suck being trapped in your house because you can't breathe the air. I don't know how you can take it. Not like you can just move away though. Maybe start smoking, at least then you know the pollution is being burned and going through a filter.

·
52,804 Posts
Still some of that particulate shit is very small, and alot of vapours will go through filters. That would suck being trapped in your house because you can't breathe the air. I don't know how you can take it. Not like you can just move away though. Maybe start smoking, at least then you know the pollution is being burned and going through a filter.
The small shit is called pm2 and it is very highly concentrated with fog and yes it does get in, I clean the coffee table in the morning and by next morning it needs cleaning again and this is the biggest worry because pm2 goes straight through the lungs and into the blood.

For many years Beijing refused to moniter the particulate matter 2 but now have to admit that it is way off the scale. This is a big concern for all Chinese just now.

·
Always Remembered RIP
9,476 Posts
Filtered cigarettes are for pussies.

·
Registered
1984 300GD "G" Wagen, and 1998 Steyr Puch 290GD "G" Van & a 1988 MB Trac 1000
3,310 Posts
The Victorian Yorkshire man had it sussed
"Where theres muck theres money"

·
52,804 Posts
The Victorian Yorkshire man had it sussed
"Where theres muck theres money"
Whilst not victorian I am a Yorkshireman and the real saying is "where there is muck there is brass. In those days the metal brass was worth its weight in gold, as it was used with all the heavy machinery.

And trust me there are both muck and brass in China aplenty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts