Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am curious too.
I left a message for the seller that I want to see it.
Will report back.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had a look and a drive around the block. My camera was out of juice when I tried to use it, so no pics. Sorry.
The engine swap was professionally done in California, sticker on door jamb shows certification by CA Bureau of Automotive Repair (or some such). The engine and accessories are 1975 Chevy 350. ( I dimly remember a discussion on this board about how engine swaps in CA must be same year )
The installation is tidy, looks good despite no-frills accessories. The engine compartment could benefit from a detail clean-up.
Rest of the car is in okay shape. No obvious rust (said to be from AZ). Ill-fitting dash cap. Recent MB-Tex upholstery over foam. Original shifter controlling Chevy transmission. Original AC controls, new GM compressor. Air blows cold. Sun roof and all power windows work.
Car starts right up, sounds like a 70s musclecar. Drives and shifts okay. Any extra power and weight were not evident to me. Brake pedal is awkwardly high, but this is the first SLC I have driven.
The big letdown is the paint, white over original brown, done maybe by Stevie Wonder. The surface quality is okay and would likely buff up, but the painter never heard of masking tape. A crying shame.

PS The seller has added a few pics to his Kijiji ad.

Wheels are 17"; front fenders rolled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts