Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,636 Posts
I think it looks pretty good..interesting modification.

Were you able to use the same mounting points as the original?

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya,.. but was only able to have four screw mounts.. Could have had more, but would have been a hassle. It a real tight fit and four holds it in just fine..

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
133 Posts
I like the clean blacked out look. It works since you don't have a lot of other chrome trim all over.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,802 Posts
Looks pretty good you just need to do the lower grill as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,377 Posts
Grill vs. Grille – What’s the Difference? - Writing Explained
Hmmm ... on reviewing the alleged etymology (as you do), I thiink that grill/grille are interchangeable for any flat structure with holes or slots, that you might use to melt grated cheese onto your toast.

It was the structure that came first, after which they named the technique of using it to cook meat over a fire.

/off-topic

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you know if you have made a bad joke ?? If you have to explain it...

I purposely left the "E" off.. because the new billet grille reminds me of a BQ grill.. And the "Z" instead of a "S".. well I just like the "Z".. And it's not a grader, it's a grater.. as everyone knows.. :eek:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm with you on that one,.Wallyo Some of the new grille works are ridiculous.. I go for the classic, understated look...

·
Registered
2014 ML350 Bluetec
4 Posts
So I just couldn't stand it.. I never liked the OEM cheese grader grill.. I bought some universal grill components and put this thing together.. What say you?.... Thumbs "Up" or thumbs "Down"..
It looks very clean. Nice!

Oh, and it's a cheese "grater". ?

pg

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
MERCEDES EMBLEM NEW CHROME 5.5 INCH BADGE | eBayhttps:

These are the three "store bought" components.. The rest of it was from junk I already had.. The Ford grille is cut down.. and the Diamond is used for a backing/mounting plate... YOU can chose the star size.. OEM is 8".. I wanted something smaller...

HOOD RELEASE.. this is where it gets tricky.. IF YOU OR OTHERS CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING BETTER.. I'M ALL EARS..

I had to build a mount plate for the "star".. (old heavy duty speaker grille).. There is 3/8" pipe (old floor lamp)..that runs through the grille.. and is attached to upper half of the release.. (bottom half release arm removed).. There is a small washer welded to the front part of the pipe which sits right behind of the crown of the star.. You grab the crown star with your three fingers, but your not really grabbing the star ,.. you're grabbing and washer plate assembly and pull.. The spring on the release keeps the star retracted and it's pinned so when the hood is closed the star plate is fix and isn't going to move a round..

Like I said.. you come up with something better.. let us known.. Maybe we can have a "GRILL OFF".. make a tube video.. lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts