Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys Ive sold my w211 so im checkn out of here. I would like to thank everyone in here for your knowledge and experience. I was able to figure out alot of mechanical and technical information by combing through the threads. You even helped me get an out of warranty repair done from the dealer for free on the notorious leaky fuel pump. I could not get myself to buy an extended aftermarket warranty due to all the horror stories I read on here so I had to call it quits. I will say this about mercedes ownership, they have the nicest loaner cars i have ever driven. I bid you adieu. Gwozhog

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Well guys Ive sold my w211 so im checkn out of here. I would like to thank everyone in here for your knowledge and experience. I was able to figure out alot of mechanical and technical information by combing through the threads. You even helped me get an out of warranty repair done from the dealer for free on the notorious leaky fuel pump. I could not get myself to buy an extended aftermarket warranty due to all the horror stories I read on here so I had to call it quits. I will say this about mercedes ownership, they have the nicest loaner cars i have ever driven. I bid you adieu. Gwozhog
Why wouldn't you buy an extended warranty due to all the horror stories? I'm not sure I get it. If you hear horror stories then wouldn't that "get yourself to buy an extended warranty?" :confused: Or did you just not like the car enough?

Anyway, good luck. Be wary of any used expensive Euro performance car. They aren't cheap to keep, no surprise there. Plus any given sample of any brand can be a horror story. It's luck of the draw.

What's going to replace it?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I think he is making reference to the warranty company horror stories because so many are junk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe, just maybe...

...he just didn't like the idea of owning an expensive car from a car company that makes cars so unreliable and expensive to repair that you have to buy an extended warranty or live in fear of the next, sure to come, problem. I can see why he would take Option C.

Owning a Merc out of warranty should not be the moral equivilent of a trip to Vegas to play the "tight" slot machines.

Sorry, I do not make excuses for companies that make unreliable cars...and neither should you. (I have owned a 1992 LS400 for almost 20 years and total non-consumables repairs in that time is under $1,000...including a timing belt change. It can be done. It should be done.)

- CitizenX

Why wouldn't you buy an extended warranty due to all the horror stories? I'm not sure I get it. If you hear horror stories then wouldn't that "get yourself to buy an extended warranty?" :confused: Or did you just not like the car enough?

Anyway, good luck. Be wary of any used expensive Euro performance car. They aren't cheap to keep, no surprise there. Plus any given sample of any brand can be a horror story. It's luck of the draw.

What's going to replace it?

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
...he just didn't like the idea of owning an expensive car from a car company that makes cars so unreliable and expensive to repair that you have to buy an extended warranty or live in fear of the next, sure to come, problem. I can see why he would take Option C.

Owning a Merc out of warranty should not be the moral equivilent of a trip to Vegas to play the "tight" slot machines.

Sorry, I do not make excuses for companies that make unreliable cars...and neither should you. (I have owned a 1992 LS400 for almost 20 years and total non-consumables repairs in that time is under $1,000...including a timing belt change. It can be done. It should be done.)

- CitizenX
I wasn't "making excuses," I simply didn't understand his post. Noodles kindly explained.

My MB is not unreliable and neither is my Porsche. Yet I would still take both even if they did require more repair and maintenance rather than drive a boring appliance car. We all have our own desires and priorities which directs us to choose certain vehicles. For me to sacrifice performance and driving pleasure solely for reliability just doesn't do it for me. For others, reliability is all that matters. Hey, I guess I'd just rather have a relationship with a wild, tempestuous, and exciting exotic woman than a homely, boring wallflower despite her being there for me constantly :D

btw, you're on this forum for um, what reason? :confused:

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
The E series has a reputation as the most reliable MB made for several years now. I think this fella owned an e55, not your typical E series, or even MB.

Check consumer reports for the reputation of the E series, a used car best-buy, and almost all positive ratings.

Sure Lexus is a very reliable car too, I believe as a car company overall their models are more reliable than MB. However, comparing a Lexus to an MB, especially a ls400 to an e55, is sort of like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, the LS400 should be more reliable, because without reliability, what does that car have to offer. :-o The e55 is a performance luxury sedan. The LS400 is a luxury sedan. Big difference IMO.

Why come on an MB site and bust on the car maker as a whole? Trying to "win friends and influence people"?

The sad thing is that the poor fella who's surely long gone now, just might have been very happy with an e320, e350, or e500 even. He just happened to pick a very unique version of the E-series which has many low-production number modifications, designed for performance, not reliability. Bummer for him I must say.

My rant is over.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
I am out of warranty and don't plan to dump the car. Nor do I live in fear of an expensive
repair. Even if there is one I can't come close to replacing the car for that money.
If I average out the fact I get around 200-250k miles out of my MBs and bought them
used the cents per per mile as cost of ownership is on par or even lower than many other
makes and models. No payments and the car is paying me back for every mile I keep it.
My W124 is at 310k miles and still tight. It owes me nothing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts