Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2002 CLK 500
I’ve noticed when I’m driving @ 70mPH and I accelerate smoke is coming out the back .
Had a look under the car and there is oil on the exhaust.
When the car is parked up though there is no oil spots on the floor .

I’ve read up on how to check the oil levels and I’m a little confused , I have 2 oil fillers at the firewall side of the engine .
One has a removable cap and the other has the sealed cap from MB .
I checked the oil level through the filler spout , well what I think is the filler spout as I don’t want to brake the cap of the other spout .

But the oil level is high when I check it through the spout I can access.

I just wanted to know would I get different reading from checking it through the filler tube / spout ?

Cheers for any help

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The one with the removeable cap is indeed for your engine oil.

The other one, with the cap that gets "broken", is for the transmission. The piece that gets broken is really just a tab that helps hold the actual cap in; that tab is not strictly necessary.

Since this car has the M113 V8 engine, the dipstick from another M113 (e. g. a 2000-2002 S430/S500) should in theory work on this car as well, assuming that the oil pan is similar enough.

Now, as to the oil/exhaust question, are you talking about oil on the exhaust, i. e. there's oil dripping onto the exhaust pipe...or are you talking about engine oil actually coming out of the exhaust tube?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Check for leaking valve covers and breather covers ,,reach around down near the spark plugs when engine is cool and feel for oil on the heads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response Guys .
Ok that makes more sense now with regards to the engine oil and transmission oil ports .
Regarding Coboyt question .

I’m getting oil on the exhaust , at the split just behind the gearbox .
The pan on the gearbox has oil on it too.
So I assumed it was the gearbox leaking ?
I’ve done a engine level check and it says level ok .
So I will dip the gearbox and see what reading that gives me .
I’m guessing the gearbox oil stick I purchased would not work for checking engine oil level ?

When I first purchased the car I had oil burning on the manifold , and there was oil all around the filler cap.
I took it in for a service and the cap was replaced as the seals were shot .

I no longer have any oil in that area around the filler cap.

I will have to have a deeper inspection under the car to see if I can see any leaks .

It’s just confusing as there are no leaks when it’s parked up , but seems to blow oil when at high acceleration.

Thanks again for all response
Cheers fellas

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yes , do not attempt to use the transmission dipstick to check engine oil.
It could be transmission oil ,,they often leak from the electrical connector bushing ,,or it could be engine oil ,,
As you say , you need to get under there ,clean it up and have a look.
PS,,CLK posts should be in Coupes etc W208 or W209.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
Would I be correct in saying transmission fluid and engine oil are different in colour ?
Also I remember transmission oil having a pungent smell ? But this I going back 20 years when I last worked on any engines.

The car is 17 years old with 60 000 miles.
They say the transmission is sealed for life ,
Would it leak after such low mileage?
Also the oil I cleaned of the transmission sump was a golden honey colour
Cheers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
New transmission oil is cherry red,,,but after 17 years it will be dark brown...it is a bit less viscous than engine oil.
The trans is not sealed for life , unless you want it to break down ,,it should be serviced , new filter , gasket , connector bushing and fluid..
It could certainly leak after 17 years.
Only way is to clean it and find where it is coming from.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Check your oil test port in front of the engine near the power steering pump! When (not if) the gasket fail from age, oil will be blown all the way back to the exhaust pipe. The faster you go.......the more it will leak. Ask me how I know.
Oil Pressure Test Port.jpg

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This port is really a poor design. It has been redesign and the new one will still leak with age. I would not reinstall the plate without a RTV sealant!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts