Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my slk.. The car was running great,,, that is until I took it to the dealer, with roof problems. That was 2 weeks ago. Tonight I discovered they lossened up the positive connection on the battery.
My problem is::: the car is starting to hesitate. I already replaced the MAF sensor. Now the car is surging and when I go to put it in reverse it doesnt go. I have to put it back in drive then reverse.. How do I check the trans fluid on this car?? Any suggestions????
Does anyone know a reliable & honest mechanic in Milford, Ct area?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
3,664 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The dipstick is located at the back of the motor, you should see a black plastic cap with a red tab. The tab has to be removed first, brake off the top of the tab and push the rest of it down through the cap.

Note: you will need a dipstick (tool) as the car's do not come with one. The red tab's have to be replaced afterwards, they cost around $.75 each. The dipstick's are $30 or so on ebay, dealers want around $80.

·
Registered
1999 230
572 Posts
Jimmy, welcome to the forum m8!
Not trying to be a smart ass but, what a 1st post.
I would take it back to them & tell them what's going on with the car.
So did they fix the roof problem? what was it?
Did they replace the MAF sensor?
Why don't you just take it back to them & talk to them about it & let them check the trans oil if you think that is the problem.
If it was me...I would take it back & just say look what you did to my car, now fix it & give it back to me the way it was when I drove it here to get the roof fixed. (in a nice way)
Other guys will chime in & give their 2c worth, so hang in there, you know what I'd do though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will check for the black cap.... First I think I have to get the dipstick etc...(tool)... As far as the dealer goes... Apparantly the Hatshelf on the back had a bent hinge and the they wanted $3,100 to fix the problem. They had the car all day to tell me this. I already knew what the problem was. I finally fixed it myself for "$0". I just dont trust the dealers.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Make a dipstick. It measures up from when it touches the bottom of the pan at hot running. Red tag not needed to be replaced straight away.Another ozzie used a length of white flexible curtain rod marked with a texta.:thumbsup:

Bazzle

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I am on ebay how do i know which dipstick is the correct one for my car? I have a 1999 slk230. I do not know the engine model. Is it 170?

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230
816 Posts
Yeah, same as me. I dont have a dipstick, only a cap that says "Only check by autorished mercedes worksshop or something. Do you have a partnumber for it or something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well here is the update. I recieved the dip stick for the trans. I was able to get the lock cap off. The trans fluid was low.... I was able to reuse the old lock cap.
Now my next question..... Why would the trans fluid be almost a quart low? Someone told me to check the trans modulator? If so does anyone have pics of this?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,342 Posts
well here is the update. I recieved the dip stick for the trans. I was able to get the lock cap off. The trans fluid was low.... I was able to reuse the old lock cap.
Now my next question..... Why would the trans fluid be almost a quart low? Someone told me to check the trans modulator? If so does anyone have pics of this?

thanks for the help.
Did you check the transmission fluid at full operating temperature with engine running and in park?

First thing I would do is check is the transmission electrical connector (aka pilot bushing). It is very common for the seals to leak and when it does, transmission fluid can wick into the TCU. This will make your transmission go wonky.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,342 Posts
Damn..............why was this old thread listed as new? Can't believe I responded to a 11 year old thread:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts