Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes 350 GLK
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have info on checking or changing the oil in a GLK, I know I have a few more miles to go before I need to change the oil... just starting my research now.

How do you check the oil? I looked for the dip stick but did not see one, what am I missing.

I have changed oil in most of the cars I have owned through out the years but never attemped an oil change on a Mercedes. Does anyone have illustrations of where the oil filter, drain plug and dip stick are located?

·
Registered
A-Class (W169)
53 Posts
Does anyone have info on checking or changing the oil in a GLK, I know I have a few more miles to go before I need to change the oil... just starting my research now.

How do you check the oil? I looked for the dip stick but did not see one, what am I missing.

I have changed oil in most of the cars I have owned through out the years but never attemped an oil change on a Mercedes. Does anyone have illustrations of where the oil filter, drain plug and dip stick are located?
Why don't you the manual? You can check it on the instrument cluster display...

·
Registered
GLK 350; Wht; Blk MBTex; Prem1;App;Light;MMedia...
55 Posts
Yep - just left of center as you stand in front of the vehicle looking into the engine compartment. At the back with a green top. That is the dipstick.

10,000 miles is recommended change - and Mobil 1 synthetic I think. The handbook has all that stuff. I'm going to leave it to the dealer at least while under warranty - then no issue about not having maintenance kept up-to-date.

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes 350 GLK
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, not a bad idea letting the dealer do the first few oil changes. It just kills me to speand $$$ when I was able to do and oil change on my Nissan Murano for 15 bucks in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport & 2010 GLK350
125 Posts
Originally Posted by utiadam
We usually recommend customers at the dealer do 1 oil change between services. That is about 6,500 miles every oil change.
===============================================

I second that, Shame on you :mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you are REALLY an MB tech you should be ashamed of yourself for giving such bad advice. As a professional you should be providing customers with a PROFESSIONAL opinion, not your personal one which doesn’t count for much! That’s why.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is what the service advisors tell the customers and i really dont see anything wrong with it. I dont know why you sound so upset but there is no harm in changing your oil at 6,500 instead of 13,000. Do you think your engine will last longer if you change it at 13,000 instead of every 6,500?

·
Registered
125 Posts
EuroMotorcars Bethesda Mercedes-Benz Recommended Services

that is off the website of a MB dealership and they are saying 5,000 miles! BTW, I do not work at this dealership. This is just an example that other dealers agree on doing an oil change in between services.
This is what I am talking about, that dealership is NOT saying change oil every 5000 miles, thay are saying AT 5000 miles for some models.

What did you learn on your MB training, I bet they didn't tell you to recommend oil changes between A and B services?

I am sorry but AFAIK you are talking complete rubbish so I stand by my original post and state again, you should be ashamed of yourself for giving customers such poor advice while wearing you MB tech badge.

Oh and do you really believe the engine will last 'longer' by doing extra unnecessary oil changes!

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
There is nothing wrong with changing oil at 3000 miles either, but I don't. For a while, I had the oil tested at each FSS designated change for my MY99 and the result always came back the same: plenty of lube life left in the oil. Lets face it, Mercedes uses a sump which carries twice the amount of oil of say Detroit cars. Equating oil life to dirt density, the oil is only being used the equivalent of 6000 miles which is a mere doubling of the older dino interval. Better oil, less blowby due to tighter ring clearance all lead to longer running fluids. So utiadam is correct in saying that there is nothing wrong in earlier changes but it is waste of money in the minds of many. Your truck, do as you please.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is nothing wrong with changing oil at 3000 miles either, but I don't. For a while, I had the oil tested at each FSS designated change for my MY99 and the result always came back the same: plenty of lube life left in the oil. Lets face it, Mercedes uses a sump which carries twice the amount of oil of say Detroit cars. Equating oil life to dirt density, the oil is only being used the equivalent of 6000 miles which is a mere doubling of the older dino interval. Better oil, less blowby due to tighter ring clearance all lead to longer running fluids. So utiadam is correct in saying that there is nothing wrong in earlier changes but it is waste of money in the minds of many. Your truck, do as you please.
I hate to go on BUT, that was not the point I was making, for all I care ppl can put cooking oil in their cars but utiadam said he reccommends to all his customers at the MB dearship where he works, which is very wrong IMO.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Mr Slugger:
I was making a comment about utiadam's post for future inquirers. As for your comments, I am in complete agreement. If you want to see how topics like this go on, do a search about tranny fluid changes on the W163 forum. Passions can get quite high.
Regards

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hate to go on BUT, that was not the point I was making, for all I care ppl can put cooking oil in their cars but utiadam said he reccommends to all his customers at the MB dearship where he works, which is very wrong IMO.
look, how many times do i have to say that i dont recommend it, the service writers do! all i said is that i dont see anything wrong with it. You can do whatever you want with your car, it doesn't matter to me. You'll get through the warranty period just fine changing your oil every 13,000 miles. I've seen cars come in with around 40,000 miles and are on the original oil, and they are still running!

·
Registered
125 Posts
We usually recommend customers at the dealer do 1 oil change between services. That is about 6,500 miles every oil change.
OK last post on this, what I am hearing is that you may have wrote something different from what you intended to communicate.

The OP was asking about changing the oil on a GLK, where the dip stick was etc. a few posts followed with the advice the OP asked for along with the regurgitation of the 'official'ish guidance on when to change the oil.

You then posted the above which sounded very much like you (included in 'we') recommended to customers of an authorized MB dealership an oil change at 6,500 miles, which I highlighted as a ‘personal’ opinion of yours and your colleagues at work. That the recommendation was not that of MB who makes the car and as an authorized service representative of MB you should really be sticking to the facts and not your beliefs, at least not without making it clear that these are your personal not professional recommendations.

I understand now that it was maybe not your intent to communicate this as it was written, and that the recommendation is in fact not yours but that of co-works and that you really don’t know or have all the factual detail behind what you may have seen on a service right up and that you wish to retract the statement that there is a MB dealership recommending an oil change on GLK’s every 6,500 miles.

If I still have it wrong, please feel free to correct me…..

Thanks, and please don't get me wrong, it's healthy to chat and debate on these topics, thats what the forums are for.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Everything is just a recommendation, even the service schedule. The services are just recommended maintenance that should be done to the car at those intervals. You are not required to have the services done at the dealership either. The reason I said "we" is just because I work for this dealer and they recommend it to their customers, I just do the work. In the end its just personal preference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.