Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to relieve all doubt of my aptitude. How do you change the airfilter on a 2000 G500. I have looked through all 6 of my owners manuals. It appears that the entire engine cover must come off, but I have refrained from tugging on it to hard.

Topic 2 where is the ODB II connector. Does anyone know if the Snap-on scanner will read all of the codes. Is a Europa G500 in the Snap-on data card?

Topic 3. My electrical connector for the trailer got crushed (oops). Is the connector available separately from the harness. Anyone have a part number for the matching connector for the trailer?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
discap - 2/2/2005 10:59 AM

I am going to relieve all doubt of my aptitude. How do you change the airfilter on a 2000 G500. I have looked through all 6 of my owners manuals. It appears that the entire engine cover must come off, but I have refrained from tugging on it to hard.

Topic 2 where is the ODB II connector. Does anyone know if the Snap-on scanner will read all of the codes. Is a Europa G500 in the Snap-on data card?

Topic 3. My electrical connector for the trailer got crushed (oops). Is the connector available separately from the harness. Anyone have a part number for the matching connector for the trailer?

Thanks

Bill
1.) The engine cover is two pieces. VERY carefuly lift up on the font edge of the front section. It will snap free. The back edge of the front section is held in place by a combination of two vertical and two horizontal connectors into the front edge of the back section. Pull it off carefully.

The rear section lifts off. There are four spring clamps over four large rubber donuts that hold it in place. Just pull straight up. The very back of it goes over the intake pipe for the manifold. Be sure to position this crefully when putting it back together.

The airi filters (2 of them) are accessed by removing the holders. There are four Torx head screws in each one.

2.) The OBDII connector in on the underside of the dash - just above your left foot. A generic code reader can read all the generic OBDII codes. You cannot access the proprietary ECU, TCU, etc codes through there. This requires VERY expensive software.

3.) The vehicle side connector is available as a separate part as is the trailer side. I have to look them up and will post in a followup message.

3.)

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
Trailer Plugs

discap - 2/2/2005 10:59 AM

Thanks

Bill
Vehicle side trailer plug is available seperately. However, there are about 4 different one listed as being applicable. I'd check with Europa to be sure I got the right one.

The trailer side connector is P/N: A.601.540.11.81. I paid about US$40 at Europa in 2002 - before the big rise in the EURO vs the US$.

·
Registered
2000 G500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dutch thanks for the help.

Is Europa the best place to get these parts?

The reason I asked about the Snap-on is because I own one, but I don't think I have the cartridge that covers my car. Hard to believe that there are any more expensive than Snap-on

Thanks

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
discap - 2/2/2005 1:20 PM

Dutch thanks for the help.

Is Europa the best place to get these parts?

The reason I asked about the Snap-on is because I own one, but I don't think I have the cartridge that covers my car. Hard to believe that there are any more expensive than Snap-on

Thanks
That's where I would go. While they are high priced, these parts are not so expensive that the pricing should hurt too bad.

I don't know about the SnapOn. As long as it will accept an ISO OBDII data stream, it should work. The connector under the dash is standard. As said, it'll read the generic ODBII codes only; but that's certainly better than nothing. The proper hard and software to get all the proprietary codes will set you back about $2,000 or more.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
there are some companies selling software that says it will read all codes from mercedes etcetara... auterra was one of them i think, but no-one has actually verified this and they don't like to answer too many questions about it... either because if it's true they probably have to be quiet about it, or if it's false they don't want to be held to details of what "manufacturer specific" mean.

·
Registered
UK:V40;UAE:G500-2000
99 Posts
interesting visit to MB training centre

interesting bit of info to share from a recent trip to the DC UK training centre (for dealer technicians and the sort):
the mercedes star diagnosis system, which all self-respecting dealers would have, costs about £3k if i remember right, and the software costs about £2k on top of that, and there is an annual, or life subscription, which again costs a small fortune, but without which the product will not work. What surprised me was that it was available to anyone with the funds to buy it, and they fully support the product (ie helpline and tech support). If the subscription is not updated the thing stops working after 3 months of expiry, just in case anybody was thinking of taking another route to acquire one!
also i found it interesting that there are some codes and menus within the diagnosis which even dealers and importers do not have access to, and only the factory can enter.
Thanks to the great guys at DC UK Milton Keynes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts