Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
We will need to watch that one..

Dave, I am from CT as well. Most here know that Wayne C. hosts "Chasing Classic Cars" - we have had a chance to tour his place a couple times with the local AACA region. A really nice guy and like me, is probably split right down the middle in terms of an interest in prewar American cars, and postwar European sportscars. His stuff pretty much mirrors that - not a lot of muscle cars or 50s stuff, but he usually has an SL of some type hanging around.

So the buyer has a chance to own a virtually new, 716 mile 560SL with the cache of buying it from Wayne and co. I would not say $50K is too out of whack but it does make you wonder about the reserve.

The big problem with this car is you really cannot drive it once you buy it, because that is where the value is. Not a storng enough celeberty provenance (never put much stock in that anyway, a car is a car in most cases to me) to support the value, so it has to be in the ultra low miles. Crack a 1,000 and that is a big psychological number, in my mind. Great car for an MB collector with everything, store it for now and in a few short years it would be a nice concours car. I hope it goes for big bucks!

·
Registered
1972 450 Sl
57 Posts
I wonder how many miles you would rack up taking it in and out of its trailer
at events. Enough events and you'll go over 1000 miles and never drive the car on anything but grass. How do you maintain a car if its never driven?

Mark

Dave, I am from CT as well. Most here know that Wayne C. hosts "Chasing Classic Cars" - we have had a chance to tour his place a couple times with the local AACA region. A really nice guy and like me, is probably split right down the middle in terms of an interest in prewar American cars, and postwar European sportscars. His stuff pretty much mirrors that - not a lot of muscle cars or 50s stuff, but he usually has an SL of some type hanging around.

So the buyer has a chance to own a virtually new, 716 mile 560SL with the cache of buying it from Wayne and co. I would not say $50K is too out of whack but it does make you wonder about the reserve.

The big problem with this car is you really cannot drive it once you buy it, because that is where the value is. Not a storng enough celeberty provenance (never put much stock in that anyway, a car is a car in most cases to me) to support the value, so it has to be in the ultra low miles. Crack a 1,000 and that is a big psychological number, in my mind. Great car for an MB collector with everything, store it for now and in a few short years it would be a nice concours car. I hope it goes for big bucks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Where do you live? I live in Simsbury (outside of Hartford).

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
nobby...given the choice to take off cross country....I'd opt for the 716 mile garage queen. Just saying....of course, after the trip, the value would plummet from $ 100K to $ 25K....so if it meant buying it to drive...I'd take yours. just saying

·
Registered
1973 450SL-1968 911-1994 840ci-1967 Mustang
590 Posts
As has been pointed out, you can't drive it. The enjoyment of these cars is driving them.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
Good museum piece....that's it.

A thirty year old car is still a thirty year old car regardless of mileage.

I would trust my well maintained 175,000 mile SL on a long trip over this low mileage example.
Proven well maintained SL over a Garage Queen with old rubber, old hoses etc. I would pick the Battle Pig any day.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1981 380SL
256 Posts
My rubber is newer! (Much newer, in fact -- I've got recorded cursing fits for proof)

Must say, a time capsule like that is cool.

When did they start putting those Benz signature stickers on the windshields? I had a 1990 300SE that had one, but the 380SL doesn't. Should it?

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
Proven well maintained SL over a Garage Queen with old rubber, old hoses etc. I would pick the Battle Pig any day.:thumbsup:
Any time an old rubber is involved you are likely to get hosed.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,228 Posts
Over 60K reserve not met WTF. First time I see a 560SL sell used for more than it cost new.

·
29,512 Posts
When did they start putting those Benz signature stickers on the windshields? I had a 1990 300SE that had one, but the 380SL doesn't. Should it?
I don't know when, exactly, and the stickers have changed over the years. But yours should have one. If it doesn't, probably has a newer windshield installed.

·
29,512 Posts
nobby...given the choice to take off cross country....I'd opt for the 716 mile garage queen. Just saying....of course, after the trip, the value would plummet from $ 100K to $ 25K....
Better bring your AAA card.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Dave, we are neighbors, will PM you my info. Did you get to the Simsbury car show last month? Forum members Roncallo and Chief Rider there in addition to me, a scorcher but really good show.

Ned, if you spend any time at Portland Boatworks ask the owner to show you his car collection - it is pretty amazing.

Just over 4 hours to go and the car is now over 66K - I believe more than a brand new 1989 560 SL let alone an '87. Note to self - "watch this item" just DON"T press "Bid" :D

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
$80,100. Nice, undoubtedly a record for a 560 SL and likely any 107??

Wonder if the new owner knows about this forum? :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts