Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would want my sec similar to this!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4538758075&category=6332

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
I want that car !!!!! If i only had the money! wow 20,000 bid now back when i saw it, it was only at 18 ! !

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
It’s a real beauty but how many times has it been listed on Ebay now?
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it on Ebay...

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
cnd - 3/31/2005 3:36 AM

It’s a real beauty but how many times has it been listed on Ebay now?
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen it on Ebay...
apparently they are different cars. The seller imports them from Germany.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Two problems with the presentation of this car:
1. All AMG cars have an AMG instrument cluster with the AMG logo all over it. This one does not.
2. The VIN number starts WDBCA45, which is a US number not a Euro VIN. How did this car end up with a kilometer speedometer and a US VIN?

He's also on his fourth eBay ID but only shows six feedbacks, naturally at 100%.

Help me out here - this car has 17" rims on it and I thought 1988 cars only went to 16" rims. His ad touts "original".

This is a very attractive car but I would highly question the truth in that it is a "one of the finest 560 SEC AMG genuine and original AMG package."

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think he just tunes them up and sells them. i'm sure in germany, these parts are not that scarce. the final product is what counts i guess. everything done to the car is to amg specs in the looks category. as far as engine, thats a different story.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I've chatted w/ Kyle about this car.. He pulled the AMG exhaust and installed a Full US system to pass emissions.. My father was looking to purchase this car until we found out that tidbit of info. If he would of taken 5 grand off the price we'd have had a deal.

Jonathan

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
mramay - 3/31/2005 2:04 PM

Two problems with the presentation of this car:
1. All AMG cars have an AMG instrument cluster with the AMG logo all over it. This one does not.
2. The VIN number starts WDBCA45, which is a US number not a Euro VIN. How did this car end up with a kilometer speedometer and a US VIN?

He's also on his fourth eBay ID but only shows six feedbacks, naturally at 100%.

Help me out here - this car has 17" rims on it and I thought 1988 cars only went to 16" rims. His ad touts "original".

This is a very attractive car but I would highly question the truth in that it is a "one of the finest 560 SEC AMG genuine and original AMG package."
I am not going to defend the guy, but I could give you answers.

Not all AMG cars have the AMG clusters. I've seen some without them. Cars that usually have the AMG cluster are the DOHC and some SOHC, but rarely I think.. thats from my observation.

REgarding the vin.. I've seen 2 other euro cars (both were R107's) that had the normal VIN as well as a US VIN that. I forgot how they did it, but there's a procedure for it apparently.

There were 17" AMG wheels around this time. However, the ones shown are from an SL. Wheels is not a determining factor.. its just cosmetic.

The quote you have is generally what you would get from anyone who is trying to sell something. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
blue420sel - 3/31/2005 2:25 PM

i think he just tunes them up and sells them. i'm sure in germany, these parts are not that scarce. the final product is what counts i guess. everything done to the car is to amg specs in the looks category. as far as engine, thats a different story.
The AMG parts in Europe ARE scarce.. and even $$$$. I searched high and low and found very little AMG stuff.

Engine.. you can't tell from looking at it. It could be a 2-valver. You can easily tell if its a 4 valver or not.. but a 2 valver is more difficult.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
jhodg5ck - 3/31/2005 3:19 PM

I've chatted w/ Kyle about this car.. He pulled the AMG exhaust and installed a Full US system to pass emissions.. My father was looking to purchase this car until we found out that tidbit of info. If he would of taken 5 grand off the price we'd have had a deal.

Jonathan
Does he still have the exhaust? You could have it reinstalled and no one would have to know[;)][}:)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Just heard from Kyle and here is what he had to say regarding said SEC:
"Jonathon please first give my regards to the benzworld club, i would like to correct some information that can help them understand first this car is not the same car from the last time it is different than the other one, this car do have the AMG exhaust system also these cars are all genuine AMG,s i been collecting these cars for over 15 years i had my self over 12 560sec AMG out of the 12, 4 are widebodays and finly the vin issue see the euro vin will not be excpted at ebay so i had to use my brother US 560sec vin. so have a good day"

So, I retract my former statement, the pictures looked almost identical to the car I was interested in.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
jhodg5ck - 3/31/2005 12:19 PM

Jonathan
Completely irrelevant to the discussion but this is what was done to my SE, either the AMG or Euro exhaust was removed (depending on when and where the AMG engine went in) so I suspect it may be pretty common though I am surprised to find out it's still done. I guess it's the easiest and cheapest way to go. But ARRGGGH, it kills the performance. Next on my list of things to do...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts