Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Not this one again!

Why can't some radical enviro nazi burn THIS to the ground....or some gangsta' riddle it with bullet holes enough to get it to the scrap yard, so we don't have to look at it again?!?!?!

Sadly, I fear we're destined to see e-bay auctions for this one once or twice a year for ever.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Not this one again!

Sorry ... didnt think it was a repost. Delete this thread all together if you wish.

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
RE: Not this one again!

MLOffRoad - 5/11/2005 10:03 AM

Sorry ... didnt think it was a repost. Delete this thread all together if you wish.
Might not be a bad idea.....can you imagine what Karl would think of THAT lift job[:D]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Sorry about the tone. :^)

Nothing personal, and no problem re-posting since there are always new folks looking that weren't here last time. Just trying to inject a little humor and maybe I was off the mark.

If you want some real entertainment, do a search for key words like "jeep axle" or something and I think this puppy will come up.

And yes Brent, Karl has expressed his views on this one before, albeit very briefly, likely figring it not worth the bandwidth to state the obvious (I never let it stop me though.[;)])

The first time I remember seeing this one discussed was when the person who had it built was unhappy with it's handling characteristics...

D'YA THINK? [:)]

No worries, mate. The more posts the better, IMHO. All in good fun.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Black humor is OK

[}:)] Practical jokes have a tendency to be raugh [}:)]

First came this simonp bragging about this G!
simonp5150
BenzWorld Junior Member

The G is finished!

Its riding on custom coilovers with nitrogen charged shocks. Wheels offroad like you wouldn't believe…..
But later came this desparate text:
…Need some advice 03 G500 Custom work (long)
Greetings forum members! Ive recently been contacted by my sister to clear up some issues that she is having with her G500. She purcheased the vehicle used from a dealer in June. She wanted to fit 33 inch tires, the dealer (not a MBZ dealer) said no problem and sent it off to a suspension shop for a "mild lift" and promptly had her sign the contract and start making payments. Now 12 weeks later she still has not taken delivery. Failure for the dealer to pay the installer, dealer putting 1100 miles on the truck, dealer jumping truck on pavement and breaking it etc. I went down to have a look at it today and they have it raised 6 inches on nitrogen charged coilover suspension. It looks beautiful but I am very concerned for her safety. There are issues with bump steer and the brake lines that I can see. I will post some pictures tomorrow as we are going to pick it up tonight. My question is who can we have to check over the work to make sure that it is safe? The dealer clearly took advantage of my sister and her money she has the biggest heart and trusted these people. She fell in love with the G at first sight and plans to use the truck off the road how it was meant to be used. How can I make sure this is safe and right for her.
And later…
…A friend and I went over to the shop to pick it up last night. The guy who did the work said it was all ready to go. I pulled out of the driveway and got it up to 30 mph, went over a railroad crossing and it bump steered almost into the other lane! Just driving along at 30, the stability control system pulls the truck from left to right, it was crazy. I turned around and took it back to the shop and the guy said that it was that I don't know how to drive a lifted truck. It has nitrogen charged coilovers that have been welded to the frame, swaybars and all the oem suspension have been removed. One of the front frame crossmembers has been modified for driveshaft clearance. The steering arm is at about a 45 degree angle. It was like driving a boat. Sadly there is no way that I can see this vehicle being able to be returned to stock. Look for it in Off Road magazine as they are taking it tomorrow morning out to Barstow to do a photo shoot. A lawyer has been contacted. They are going to have their head served to them for ruining the G with our money. My sister will never drive this car..
Seams like a capable grocery getter for a little old lady got an overdoze of silicone and steroids!

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
i those i saw picture of it at some shop posted one time and a older man owned it.

why does it look so strange? also why 33's i bet 36's would clear.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: Sorry about the tone. :^)

Hipine - 5/11/2005 12:56 PM

Nothing personal, and no problem re-posting since there are always new folks looking that weren't here last time. Just trying to inject a little humor and maybe I was off the mark.

If you want some real entertainment, do a search for key words like "jeep axle" or something and I think this puppy will come up.

And yes Brent, Karl has expressed his views on this one before, albeit very briefly, likely figring it not worth the bandwidth to state the obvious (I never let it stop me though.[;)])

The first time I remember seeing this one discussed was when the person who had it built was unhappy with it's handling characteristics...

D'YA THINK? [:)]

No worries, mate. The more posts the better, IMHO. All in good fun.

-Dave G.
No problems Dave, I just know from other forums people hate reposts... Anyways, I just found the truck to be pretty ugly, but unique and wanted to hear what others had to say.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
RE: Sorry about the tone. :^)

The word INSANE! is in there in bold caps just like that. I think that about says it all.

Thanks Karl for bringing back some of those original posts.

It's so sad in so many ways. First that the inscrupulous *&$#*&^@'s would do THIS to a poor lady who just wanted some tires that would have fit fine under the stock truck. And secondly, that a perfectly good G had to die in the process.

So sad.

At least they put the name of the offroad shop that worked on it in the ad so we can all see where NOT to take any work. It's clear their prime motivation was to spend as much of her money as they could, not to deliver enhanced capabilities. A set of 16" wheels and and 33x10.50 MTRs would have gotten the job done a LOT better than their thousands in ham-fisted mods.

I AM glad you reposted though, M. I'd never seen these detailed closeups of the suspension mods. What a travesty.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ianwatsoni - 5/12/2005 5:32 AM

You must ask yourself WHY[:0]It must have de-valued the price of this G dramatically.
Not to the seller. [;)]

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
why do you think the tires are so small? It lookes like 36"s would clear fine, also if they went with the correct size wheels it would help a lot to. Those wheels look like they came off the General lee that bo and luke drove.

Also in the one picture what is the big bar under the front axle. Looks like that would get caught on everthing.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Kerr - 5/12/2005 9:37 AM
...in the one picture what is the big bar under the front axle.....
It's part of why I called the suspension design a travesty. That's the friggin' TIE ROD. If we're going to put something hanging down in the middle of the breeze for every rock to catch, let's make it.....YEAH! THE STEERING!....morons.

That combined with the severe angles of the panhard bars and the drag link from stering box to swivel housing really say a mothful about the intention of this work being only to separate another poor sucker from teir money.

And as for why it doesn't have 36s, well my best guess is that it's nearly undriveable as it is, so why bother spending more money on tires? If I was a bettin' man, I'd lay even money that this thing hasn't seen 500 miles since the suspension was ruined a couple years ago. They've likely been asking WAY too much $ for someone to buy it and turn it into the trailer queen that the suspension requires it to be due to being too unstable for public streets and freeways.

Like I said, sad death of a G.

I'd take it off their hands for $10k and put the factory suspension back.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
It's interesting...i did a GOOGLE search on Baja Shop, i came up with this shop:

The Baja Shop
264 N. Cypress St.
Orange, California 92865
714-279-0778
714-279-0945 fax

www.thebajashop.com
www.bajashopmotorsports.com

From reading briefly on the internet, they are a popular (well-respected??) shop. The same stuff on the G above is also on their other creations.

Just interesting reading.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Hipine - 5/12/2005 3:29 PM
It's part of why I called the suspension design a travesty. That's the friggin' TIE ROD.
------------------------------------------------------
Some where in some other thread I mooted that the guy that designed the top of the G was singing from a different song sheet to the guy that did the bottom.
And this one has been.... what could you say....FUBAR'd

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
saigonsmuggler - 5/12/2005 12:41 PM
...i did a GOOGLE search on Baja Shop,...From reading briefly on the internet, they are a popular (well-respected??) shop. The same stuff on the G above is also on their other creations......
You don't have to do things right to be popular and well respected. Just give people what they think they want. If the general customer base is ignorant, and the business feels no responsibility to educate them, then hey, everybody's happy.

Then you can bring in personal standards. The general public likes a lot of things I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole (Starbucks coffee, Jack Daniels whiskey, new cars, interest-only financing, I could go on....)

And of course, never forget that 99% of the stuff you read on boards like this one (maybe less so here than a lot of places) is pure opinion, and based on variable and usually unknown levels of expertise and fitness to render such an opinion. Take it all with a grain of salt. Especially my posts!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
What a piece of garbage. My stock 02 has more ground clearance. Look how low the 4-Link and tie-rods are! I could destroy this thing in a matter of hours - assuming it didn't kill me first.

My thoughts on value w/ the "stated" $30,000 in upgrades.

New - $72,500
Used low mileage 02 G500 - $50,000
subtract $30,000 for the $30,000 of damage they did

I'll pay $20,000 and sell it for parts. Or you could combine it w/ the G that was shot to hell.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
mb230s - 5/13/2005 4:50 PM

What a piece of garbage. My stock 02 has more ground clearance. Look how low the 4-Link and tie-rods are! I could destroy this thing in a matter of hours - assuming it didn't kill me first.

My thoughts on value w/ the "stated" $30,000 in upgrades.

New - $72,500
Used low mileage 02 G500 - $50,000
subtract $30,000 for the $30,000 of damage they did

I'll pay $20,000 and sell it for parts. Or you could combine it w/ the G that was shot to hell.
$15,000 and a plasma cutter...
Since you're going to have to cut all of that @!#$ off... You might as well swap out for portal axles.
In interior doesn't look that screwed up....

Chuck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts