Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
Thanks for sharing Texas. I wonder if any BW members will get to Pebble this year. This car has been making for a lot of speculation over the last few months. Unlike the 700 mile 560 SL discussed earlier this week, this car will likely move the whole market for the 200 odd 500 - 540K cars in existance. A big difference between this and the Special Roadster sold by RM last year (that has been a subject of discussion due to its being seized by the German Government as a result of an ownership dispute) is its crystal clear provenance and interesting history. A good friend of mine knows a lot about these cars, I understand those "in the know" expect it to clear 10 million easily. While there is a huge difference in price between the "Special Roadsters" and other K car variants, the universe is small enough to really make an impact on the rest of the cars.

I totally agree with the comments about celeberty ownership regarding the Clark Gable Duesy. Means nothing with a couple of exceptions, but here, because Gable was such a car guy the combination is pretty amazing.

Took dad to lunch today in the common garden 560 SL, he produces today's copy of the Hartford Courant, and the Baroness' Special Roadster is featured on the front page, which is better copy than 99% of the garbage usually printed in that paper.... :D

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
Sold. Just under 12 Million when all said and done.

"Last call, I am going to sell this magnificent motorcar..."

"10.7 Million (plus commission) - well done sir..."

Missed the MB sale yesterday, but was watching Gooding's guy live Saturday and he is entertaining... Not a world record, but not exactly chump change, either. Some other spectacular cars although a rare Packard Speedster and Jaguar D type initially failed to make reserve. Maybe even the very wealthy are feeling a bit more cautious this year.

A Ford sets record at Pebble Beach auction; a Mercedes fall short - latimes.com

Along related lines, best of show at Pebble Beach this year (this is the best possible use for a golf course, IMO):

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts