Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 94 E320 in midnight blue as a new project. Nice looking car, came with some newer CLK wheels, but the car hadn't run in 2 years. The previous owner parked it after reverse got really slow (B3 Issue?) and until I bought it, there it sat...

I changed all the fluids, plugs, filters, and the motor runs strong and like new, trans def has issues, but I am going to pull it soon and rebuild according to W124ZONE's site. Interior is mint, but body def has a few issues...pretty much just a few rust spots that were neglected, etc. O

Over the next few months I plan on fixing the rust spots, rebuilding the trans, and get this car back to the way it should be. Here are a few pics, BEFORE any cleaning whatsoever, literally that is 2 years worth of dirt and grime on the car

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And a few pics AFTER cleaning, a remarkable difference! Amazing what some cleaner does, along with about 5 hours inside, 2 in the engine bay, and even just a quick outside wash. I'm not super detailing the exterior yet, since there are about 4 spots where the paint is either bubbled or has surface rust, soo I still need to sand those and fix. Speaking of that, does anyone know if I can get a color match to Midnight Blue over the counter? I use to be able to get the exact match for Jeep, one of my BMWs, etc straight from a $5 can at most auto parts stores.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yeah at first I thought it was rust on the doors...then I realized it was actually dirt that was like glue on the car. I haven't done anything exterior other then a quick wash, soo with some glaze and wax it should clean up even better. The general condition of the car is actually very good, albeit I still need to replace the passenger front fender, as it rusted out (aftermarket fender) but interior is mint.

I owned an 86 300e many years ago, and a few BMWs, so I am familiar with the W124 to some degree. I passed by this car everyday for 2 years, and finially knocked on their door and said look, its a shame to see a car like this just sitting, do you want to sell it? WELL, here it is LOL

·
Registered
2000 SL500
193 Posts
Looks nice. What's up with the front suspension? Is it lowered or was it just sitting on some uneven road when you took the first pics?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what is totally up w that side, the car sits slightly lower at that corner, which makes me wonder if it is a strut issue perhaps, not sure. In the pic though it was a little uneven pavement, but there is about a 1/2 " difference between that side and the other side

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
Hey I am in the same boat

Hey
Looks a ton better after the cleaning.
I bought a 1988 300CE as a project car for myself and kid. We spent about 3 hours just cleaning the interior today. The car was disgusting inside I would hate to see their house inside. I was surprised about about what I thought would be wrong and what actually was. Less then what I thought but a couple different things then I figured
My project car
Good luck nice to see someone else trying a Benz as a project car. Hope you have a ton of fun getting back on the road
Cheers
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Good luck with your project too! For me, it was too sad to see a decent W124 Like this, so I had to do something. The interior wasn't all that bad in this one actually. I was pleasantly suprised, and the engine compartment wasn't half bad either. The previous owner was weird, he maintained the car mechanically (other than transmission LOL) and interior very well, but neglected the body a bit. There are spots that should have just needed a spot of touch up paint years ago, but are now silver dollar sized rust spots

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
Thanks! Good luck with your project too! For me, it was too sad to see a decent W124 Like this, so I had to do something. The interior wasn't all that bad in this one actually. I was pleasantly suprised, and the engine compartment wasn't half bad either. The previous owner was weird, he maintained the car mechanically (other than transmission LOL) and interior very well, but neglected the body a bit. There are spots that should have just needed a spot of touch up paint years ago, but are now silver dollar sized rust spots
Big difference once you cleaned it. Looks a ton better.
The interior on mine is the big deal they did not look after it I need to replace both front seat cushion. My kid and I spent a few hours on the interior today and got it up to user clean. Which works for now. After we get all the other little things done we will detail it
Have you ever rebuilt a transmission? How long do you think it will be till the car is on the road?
I want to get rid of my VW and pick up a 4 door sedan 300E 320 or something like that. Having this project car really made me see why people on here have a couple.
Keep posting pictures of the progress

1 - 10 of 10 Posts