Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got these, and got barely any idea how to install them. Im gonna go do my searches because i know ive asked abt these before but if anyone has any more tips, thanks

for the amg steering wheel, what kinda adapter do i need, is it just the MOMO for mercedes one?

whoever has this wheel can u post pics of it in your car

hey what does everyone do for a cup holder, i found a 5 dollar plastic one at pepboys that i screwed into the center console under the armrest, its nice because it adjust size, but now it will have to go with the wood box there

whats the deal with the box only opeining from the long side, is this right, thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
question about the gear shifter install, i got to the part where i took out the ashtray and the little storage cubby hole and slid the wood forward, at the same time breaking a few plastic tabs,
ok, so how do i remove the actual gear area, i saw 2 other screws in there, but didnt attack them yet out of fear. will i need to unplug all the windows wires?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,101 Posts
vdubpower,

I have installed (and removed...[xx(]) the gear lever in my 1990 560 SEC several times over the past weeks (got the wrong one at first, as there is a difference between the '86-'89 and '90-'91).

It is a bit awkward, at least the way I did it. Maybe someone has a better idea...

Anyway, you do need to remove the wood in the center console, otherwise you won't have enough room to work.
You mention you broke some plastic clips on your first try. My guess is that you broke the plastic surround for the gear shifter plate. You need to remove that before you lift up the wood. The plastic surround has four clips, and the two up front are fairly deep.
Once the plastic surround has been lifted up (very carefully so as not to scratch the wood) using a plastic spatula, lift the wood high enough so that you can unplug all the switches. Make sure you take note what goes where (windows, mirror, fader, optical fiber, etc.).
The plastic parts surrounding the gear shifter all lift up. Basically two parts, a flat plate on top of a plastic "cup". Slide them up the gear shifter shaft and access the 15mm nut at the bottom of the shaft. Loosen the nut and the gear lever can now be unscrewed from its base.
Once the old gear shifter is loose, the base will flip over to the right.
Put the plastic parts and the 15mm nut on the new gear shifter and screw it back in. Use something to hold the base straight. Tighten the 15mm nut and re-assemble the console.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks alex

the plastic surround, is that visible from under the wood or over, i just want to make sure we are talking of the same thing. is it the lining that goes around the wood surrounding the prnd32

once i do unplug the switches, and move the wood out of the way, inorder to get into where the bolt is, do i unscrew the 2 screews at the bast of the prnd32 box

thanks

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,101 Posts
Vdubpower,

The black plastic surround is between the wood and the plate around the gear shifter. It is a simple plastic frame and sits around the whole in the wood. Slide a plastic spatula between the wood and the plastic and lift it up.

Not sure what screws you refer to. As far as I remember, there are no screws to remove once the wood panel has been lifted away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts