Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all, I am looking for some clarity here. I "suspect" that my shop put too much oil in during my last change. The "Reduce Engine Oil Level" light came on and some seals seem to be leaking. I have searched and read many paths to enter the DYNO Mode to see the actual amount. 2 questions... 1) What is the exact procedure for entering DYNO Mode for my 2001 C320? and 2) when I get there will the functions that are disabled be re-enabled when I exit? Thank you in advanced, David

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,636 Posts
Get in the car and close the door. Insert the key into the ignition and switch it to position 1 (accessory). Make sure the MFD is on the main screen - that would be the one showing the digital speed or outside temperature, whichever you have it programmed for. Press the trip odometer reset stalk three times, not too slow, not too fast, about the cadence of "Jingle Bells". You should hear a beep. now you can scroll through the MFD menus and you will have an extra screen with the "hidden menu" that shows voltage, and other functions.

·
Registered
2001 C320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get in the car and close the door. Insert the key into the ignition and switch it to position 1 (accessory). Make sure the MFD is on the main screen - that would be the one showing the digital speed or outside temperature, whichever you have it programmed for. Press the trip odometer reset stalk three times, not too slow, not too fast, about the cadence of "Jingle Bells". You should hear a beep. now you can scroll through the MFD menus and you will have an extra screen with the "hidden menu" that shows voltage, and other functions.
Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions exactly but no beep or hidden menu. I tried varying the "speed" of pressing the odometer reset but nothing. Any thoughts?

·
20,636 Posts
There may have been some early cluster without this capability. Since yours is a My2001, it may not have it. Since you can't get to the oil level display, I would recommend buying a dipstick. You can get a cheap one on eBay/Amazon. This is a "shop tool" and not meant to be left in the tube. Also note that the oil level sensor can fail and give erroneous messages, so it is best to check the level with a dipstick.

·
Registered
2001 C320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There may have been some early cluster without this capability. Since yours is a My2001, it may not have it. Since you can't get to the oil level display, I would recommend buying a dipstick. You can get a cheap one on eBay/Amazon. This is a "shop tool" and not meant to be left in the tube. Also note that the oil level sensor can fail and give erroneous messages, so it is best to check the level with a dipstick.
Solved. I finally figured it out. Close door, key to position 1 (accessory), MDF on main screen (milage), push and hold trip reset stalk until you hear 1 beep (takes some time 30-40 sec), at the beep press the lower right multi function button on the left side of the steering wheel (Owners manual page 95 item 4 "for previous system") and you are in. This is for a 2001 C320.

·
20,636 Posts
Nice work finding that! I still suggest getting a shop dipstick. Those oil level sensors are known to go bad.

·
Registered
2001 C320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work finding that! I still suggest getting a shop dipstick. Those oil level sensors are known to go bad.
I agree, I will purger myself and ask just where does said dipstick go and are they marked as to fluid level?

·
20,636 Posts
You can see the oil dip tube without removing the engine cover, but to make sure you differentiate it from the transmission dip tube:

The shop tool dipsticks usually do not come with markings, but you use this:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts