Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about making a little panel with lights that show when the 4WD and lockers are engaged on my 404 ...

dont know if its nessesery (spelling?), but its one of those "gadgets" i would like to have .. [:D]

has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
78 406
251 Posts
The 406 has an air pressure switch that lights a dash indicator when the lockers are engaged. I would also like an indicator for when 4WD is engaged.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,415 Posts
Sorry for the semi-hijack, Fizz...

For the air engaged lockers/4WD, the best (but a little more complicated) thing to do is replumb everything with pneumatic switches so you can engage 4WD, front/rear/both lockers individually.

It's on my list of 'to-do' and I really haven't looked at it to carefully, but after looking at the air line plumbing in the manual it seems pretty simple. When you do this, you can add indicators for everything !

One of the ONLY negatives to the Mog drivetrain IMO is only being able to engage BOTH lockers at the same time. When you're all crossed up on a narrow rugged trail, having to full lock turn with the front locked up is a b**ch...

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
graphic66 <- just a plain lamp for on/off, or a nice little panel with 3-4 lamps for 2wd/4wd/4wd-lockers?
perhaps a "schematic" image of the Mog transmisson with strategically placed lamps?

i was thinking of making more then one set, when i was doin it anyway .. if theres an interest, of course ....

Mogosaurus <- i´ve read about a few people who has made seperate lockers, but have´nt seen any pics of how they´ve done it .. seems like the easiest way would be to just make a seperate handle for the front lockers, if they are the ones which are most likely that i would want not engaged ...

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Here in the US Mcmaster-Carr sells 12 and 24 volt solenoid valves for pressurized gas. I bought 2 for about $25 each, and will install them with lighted switches as indicators. I'm waiting to do it till I get around to moving the fuse panel, replacing it with a waterproof marine unit that accepts blade style fuses. I can't stand those pesky pellet style fuses! I'll probably move the panel to the firewall on the passenger side as there's lots of room there. Hope this helps, Seth

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not really, but it´s always nice to read about other projects! .... [:)]

(i have mechanical lockers, 404, you know!

esde - 4/27/2005 5:46 PM
Hope this helps, Seth

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,415 Posts
Somewhere on the net, there is a article on converting a 404 into a twin lever locker set-up. Maybe on rockymountainmoggers ? I know I've seen it somewhere..

·
Registered
78 406
251 Posts
These guys have discussed converting 404's to air solonoids http://ww

w.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28
As far as separate switches on the 406 for front and rear lockers you can easily get air switches from junked tracter trailer trucks and plumb in 2 of them. As for me I have enough shifters, levers and switches now. I love just the one switch for 4WD and full locked.

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinkin of two ways to make seperate lockers the "bling-bling" way ..

#1: Electrical lockers, with a little help from a device who looks like this;

but i dont know what they are called. Pretty expensive though, cost about 400 bucks per piece ..

#2: Vacuum operated lockers... seems a bit "unsecure" though .... and when the enging stops, no lockers. Could probably be solved with some valve ..

anybody who had some thought about making more controllable lockers, without compressed air?

·
Registered
Unimog_404.113_1970
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quite interesting! .. thanks for the tip!

what kind of size should the wire have?
i could find any detailed info about the OX locker, but i got the idea!
i could probably manufacture all the necessery parts, perhaps not in alu, but steel or stainless steel ...

anyone got any good pics. of homemade lockers "ox" style?

BigSkyUnimogs - 4/29/2005 7:54 PM

OX lockers, cable controls, you can put one on the front and one on the back. Do a Google search for " ox locker "

1 - 11 of 11 Posts