Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320, 97 Ford Expedition, 94 Toyota Corolla
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone..need some advice.
Today I went to costco and put some gas. Put 10 gallons and went back to the car. Then it happens. Car wont start. Engine will try to turn and turn but wont start. At first I thought it was the battery but as I check everything the lights are good the radio is good. Then after a few minutes trying to figure why is it happening. I went to the gas tank area took the gas cap off then put it back it and made sure it is tight. Went back to the car and tried starting it again. Then the car started normally but notice the check engine was on. Didnt bother as I just want to get home for about 12 miles. Got home then turn engine off again. Then tried starting it again with same result. Car wont start. Tried same process of taking gas cap off and on then car started again. Why what is the car probelm? Hope to get some info or suggestion how to fix this problem

·
Registered
2004 E320
307 Posts
Sound like your crank position sensor is bad. Once car cools down it will start. But when hot it wont. To be sure go to any parts store and have then scan for codes. If its cps replace asap because it will get worse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
When the car fails to start, continue cranking the engine and at the same time observe the needle on the tachometer. If it does not move upward slightly then it is a very good indication that you have a faulty Crank Sensor. Conversely, if it does move slightly then the problem lies in fuel delivery, pump or filter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this morning the car started normally without any check engine lite on. Drove it for about 15 to 20 mins and turn the engine off. Waited for a few minutes and tried starting the car again. And now the car wont start again. Maybe harris is right that when its warm it wont start. But now the check engine light is off so its harder for the codes. Any more inputs?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,135 Posts
Even if the light is off there may very well be a code stored in the event memory.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few hours car stated fine again but now with check engine lite on again. If its the sensor is the major arm and leg repair? Any ideas how much that kind if repair goes. Well im going to my local regular car shop to have him check what the code is for free. I have asked around with some euro car shops and they are charging me $65 just to check codes.

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
You can get the sensor from a place like autohausaz.com for $47. A good indie tech can put it in for 1/2 hour labor. If you add an oil filter autohaus will ship it for free as the order
is over $50.
If you get the order in early Tues you may have it Fri because your are close to AZ.

Call the shops, ask them what they will charge to install a Crank sensor. It should be reasonable.
The dealers get over $235 for the repair using the same Bosch part that comes in a
MB package at the dealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello everybody ..its confirmed its the CPS. Now I purchased a cps at mb dealer
huggled the price to go down $125 from $180. But my question is. The guy from parts dept gave me the cps without a box bit it looks new. Is that ok? Is common for mb parts just litteraly eothout a box. Should i go back ang ask why or just me being paranoid that thay gave me a junk one.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
you can buy the same thing for $47 at Autohausaz, read Noodles' post, I suggest you return it and save yourself $77

·
Super Moderator
22,135 Posts
The dealers here sell them in an MB OEM box. They are probably selling Bosch bulk parts
at MB retail. That is probably why they were willing to drop the price 30%.
It does not mean it is junk, it just means there are much better deals.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Price at Dealer not for haggling. If it comes without a box sealed it might be a used one from another car. I would not take it.

·
Registered
2004 E320
307 Posts
It is normal they buy them in bulk so they dont come with individual case

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts