Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has begun. 9 days after buying my C36 the 'Check Engine' light came on. Having been told prior to the purchase that the check engine sensors go bad sometimes on C36s, I assumed it was probably such a case (though, how sellers seem to know that something will happen and always manage to sell within just 100 miles of something breaking, I will never know). I dropped the car off at my shop this morning and just recieved a call that one of the o2 sensors is bad but he cannot locate which one because the exhaust is too rusted (lovely since I'd brought this rust up with the previous owner and he tried to pawn it off as 'just surface rust' when I used it as a means to offer him less than asking price). So here I am stuck with possibly needing to buy about $800 in parts for a car I still havent even paid the $1500 sales tax on. Is this something I can expect to happen often from a C36? I sold my Range Rover for the same reason that it started costing me in maintenance about a week after purchase and didn't quit breaking for more than a couple weeks at a time, I spent over $3k on it in the short 5-6 months that I owned it. What a pile.

Any tips? other than 'buy a warranty' which now I wont be able to afford to do :( (not that I could before)

- d e v v i e [}:)]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Devilgrl,
Congratulations on your car. The C36 is a solid car but there are a lot ...

Hello Devilgrl,
Congratulations on your car. The C36 is a solid car but there are a lot of little problems with this car that will eventually add up in cost. I've had the following problems on my 1995 C36 even before I've driven it over 4000 miles: Head gasket leak (very common), valve cover gasket leak, OVP, MAF sensor, and rear main seal (transmission) leak. Without warranty, which I purchased for $1500, it would have cost me well over $2000 to fix all of these problems. I feel that this is not the last of my problems and the car only has 75K miles on it.
The good thing is I have a second car to use as my daily driver.
I know that you don't want people to tell you to buy warranty, but I'm afraid that this is the best way to go with this type of car.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did you find the warranty so cheap? I usually get quotes of $3k for warranties in...

where did you find the warranty so cheap? I usually get quotes of $3k for warranties in California.

- d e v v i e

·
Registered
98 C43, 91 LotusElan
12 Posts
warranty in California

Devie

I also live in California and did a lot of shopping for warranties and found the absolute best pricing at my Credit Union, drop me an email if interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts