Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now my check engine light is lit. Is it the EGR valve? The book says that the light lits if there is any problem with the emissions control system..

Apart from EGR valve what else could be wrong? Oxygen sensor? How much did you guys ever paid for something "Check Engine" related?

Thanks
[:(]

· Registered
92 400SE, 93 400E, 01 CLK320, 01 ML320, 98 Land Rover Discovery
201 Posts
EGR stands for exhaust Gas Recirculation (its an emission control device that helps reci...

EGR stands for exhaust Gas Recirculation (its an emission control device that helps recirculate and reburn exhaust gasses in order to lower your car's emissions). It may or may not effect performance, but it will definitely irritate the hell out of your MB's computer.

There isn't much to an EGR valve It's a vacuum operated plunger but seldom goes bad. It can have carbon build up to stop a full close. If you can find it, attached to exhaust manifold, it will have a metal tube coming off the manifold and a plastic vacuum tube going to it. Most are easy to remove if you can get to it, only 2 bolts. You can put a rubber tube on it and suck on the tube to operate it and see if it is leaking and is snapping shut when you quickly stop your suck...you can hear it. This will also help clean one with build up or sticking. You don't even have to remove it to hook up a tube on it and do the suck test. Sounds crude, but works world wide when a $100 hr MB shop isn't available.

Attachments

· Registered
2008 S550 4MATIC; 1983 380SL
13 Posts
check engine light

Make sure the gas cap is tight. Other than that, could be a number of things. Only way to tell is to have MB hook it up to the computer. It just happened to my '96 S320 and it turned out to be bad vacuum lines. Very inexpensive fix. Good luck.

Attachments

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: check engine light

Make sure the gas cap is tight. Other than that, could be a number of things. Only way to tell is to have MB hook it up to the computer. It just happened to my '96 S320 and it turned out to be bad vacuum lines. Very inexpensive fix. Good luck.
Thanks guys. Actually i looked at the gas cap and felt that it was very tight..

Nice car bschraer. W140 looks so stunning in white.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.