Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 430 CLK, Mica blue, Grey Interior
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2001 CLK430 4 weeks ago. My first MB. GREAT CAR. Driving today in 100+ degree heat, the Check Engine light started blinking and then stayed on. Everything seems normal. Fluids are good, no funny noise or smells. I think I should invest in my first code reader. Anyone have a recommendation for a good code reader for a a 2001 CLK430?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Welcome aboard. Please take a minute to click user cp and edit details to add your vehicle and location to your profile, it's useful information when you're seeking assistance.

Assuming you're in the US, all you need is an OBD-II reader. You can get a basic one at Amazon for $20, spend $5 more and you get free shipping on it as well. That will read all but a few manufacturer-specific codes. For about seven or eight times that amount you get into the range of scanners that will read many of the MB specific codes but will also provide live-data information, which can be helpful with more advanced diagnostics.

In the meanwhile, if you are not in California, drive by Autozone (or some other parts stores and they will read the codes for you for free). Write down the ACTUAL ALPHANUMERIC CODE, not the translation (or worse, their "diagnosis") and then search here for the codes (they are posted in many of the forums, I posted a list in the W210 help/diy stickies) or post them.

That's important; just because the fluids seem okay and the car is running okay does not mean you can safely ignore the CEL; while that light is on, it's possible to damage some things that are costly to repair.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
I cant remember if it was the cel or the low gas light but mine did a similar flashing then steady light and it was that the gas cap was loose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bought a 2001 CLK430 4 weeks ago. My first MB. GREAT CAR. Driving today in 100+ degree heat, the Check Engine light started blinking and then stayed on. Everything seems normal. Fluids are good, no funny noise or smells. I think I should invest in my first code reader. Anyone have a recommendation for a good code reader for a a 2001 CLK430?
Flashing generally means misfire. That is rather serious.

insame1 said:
I cant remember if it was the cel or the low gas light but mine did a similar flashing then steady light and it was that the gas cap was loose.
That would have been the low fuel light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. The light turned off by itself. Go figure. I will buy a code reader anyway to see what was going on. I saw a CAN OBD2 scanner with a graphic display for $120 made by CenTech.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Check Engine Light came on again today. The last time was 1,500 miles and 40 days ago on a very hot day at high speed. In both cases, six OBD codes were recorded. Five of them listed cylinders that misfired. The sixth code says "random misfire". The light came on today after about 2 miles of driving after a cold start. I did not feel the engine stumble either time. Last time, the light turned itself off after a few days.

Any ideas?

2001 430 CLK. 60100 miles.

·
Premium Member
2002 C240, 2003 E320 4Matic Wagon, 2005 S500 4Matic
307 Posts
60k miles? Hmmmmm.

I have 118k and just replaced the plugs and wires last week.

I had one spark plug that was cracked in half! It would vibrate at stop lights. Now it's smooth as silk.

Maybe a coil pack has gone bad.

I would check the all the wires and plugs too.

All of my plugs electrodes were extremely worn.

It never threw any codes. That seemed a little weird to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'll try to check the spark plugs this weekend. I've heard that some are very difficult to access on the V8.
Today, after 2 days and 35 miles, the light turned itself off again. I hope that's a good sign.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Multiple cylinder misfires on both banks that suddenly appear is rarely anything to do with the ignition.

I'd pull the intake plumbing back to the manifold and check your air filters. There is a seal at the back just before the throttle valve that can get dislodged and cause lots of problems. And off-brand or dirty air filters can trigger issues, too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The air filters looked almost new. But the big plastic clamp that holds the MAF housing in place was unclipped and the whole assembly was loose and wobbley. While I was in there I removed and cleaned the MAF sensor and secured everything. The idle seems smoother.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts