Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I replaced my gas cap in an attempt to make the check engine light go off after the emissions inspection station said it took 4 attempts to get the old gas cap to pass. Does the light go out automatically (hopefully) or how do I reset it? Oh yeah, I failed to mention that this situation is on a 98 C280.

Other silly questions to follow.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
If the gas cap was the problem, yes, the light will reset itself after a while. You could also stop by an AutoZone and use their free code reader to clear the code or disconnect the battery for a few minutes (but you will have to resync the windows and sunroof - directions in your manual).

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320 with 351,000 miles
1,737 Posts
Most people suggest that you disconnect your battery, but they're wrong...you don't have to do that. Afterall, it's a pain to re-sync everything and re-code your radio.

Instead, pull out fuse #32 for about 30 seconds, then put it back in. Start the car up and the light should be off!

I have a 1994 C280, so the fuse # may be different on your car, but look for a fuse labeled something like "Engine Diagnostic".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts