Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E420
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem before and am somewhat concerned. Before when I had this problem the "check engine" light and "washer fluid" light came on. I needed washer fluid so i put it in and that light came off. I brought it to the mercedes dealer and after I got it back the "check engine" light was off. About week later the "check engine" light comes back on and I've been driving it fine ever since for about a month. Should I be concerned? It really bothers me and now I'm scared to accelerate fast.[:(]

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Maybe check the ovp?
http://www.thebenzbin.com/mercedes-hard-start.html
And try disconnecting your battery for about an hour or so! Make sure you have your radio anti-lock code, first?
Good luck, Spiros Artemakis

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
my wagon had the exact same problem. after some head-scratching, the problem was finally diagnosed as carbon build-up near the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve that was (if i have this right) restricting air flow. my mech cleaned the part, and the light hasn't come on since (it's been about 6 months).

apparently, this happens from time to time on these cars, and is a relatively easy fix -- worth checking out.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Why don't you check which Code is set. The car has self-diagnostic ability with a built-in led/sw at the diagnostic plug for code retieval... you don't ground/jump anything... Turn on key and push button - hold for 3 secs, release and count the reply code flashes--- continue on until all are flashed and original repeats.

One flash is No Codes Stored.. [that will not be the case on yours as the CE is on, meaning a fault has been detected]

The system is next to the right corner of the battery. It's on the right-side firewall that separates the battery from the engine. It's a little black box with white numbers from 1 to 16.

On number two, there is a button. That is the button you press down and hold for 4 seconds.
To the right of this button is a a little round light. That is the LED that will flash.

This is the code list for an E320. I don't know how different it is for an E420:
1 No malfunction in system monitored
2 Heated O2 sensor inoperative
3 Lambda control inoperative
4 Air injection inoperative
5 Exhaust gas recirculation inoperative
6 Idle speed control inoperative
7 Ignition system defective
8 Engine coolant temp. sensor, open/short circuit
9 Intake air temp. sensor, open/short circuit
10 Voltage at hot wire mass air flow sensor too high/low
11 TN-signal (rpm) at engine control module (N3/4) defective
12 Heated O2 sensor heater, open/short circuit
15 Wide open throttle information defective
21 Bad Purge Switch-Over Valve

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
W124's with M119 have a trunk mounted battery,
Also LH type fuel injection does not have the
self diagnostic LED. My 400E does not even have
a check engine lamp. I guess certain markets are not as strict. The check engine lamp is mainly for functions that could effect emmisions, Im sure everyone already knew that.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Gta255.

What you call a "check engine light", I call a MIL. It stands for malfunction indicator lamp. There are so many reasons why it may shine, and the rules governing why are so complex in a Benz, that I wouldn't know where to begin.

A short general tip is to check your gas cap, but the dealer probably did this too. So I would ask the dealer which DTC was the culprit, and what did they actually do to rectify it. Chances are they've done nothing, exept resetting the diagnostic ECU. They might have read a minor DTC, cleared the memory, and sendt it out to see if it will fix itself. This sounds weird, but is actually not uncommon. Their experience is that eight out of ten don't come back. The two who do, have faults they consider worthwhile to investigate. I too sometimes use that approach.

So, go back and deliver it again. This time, discuss exactly which codes that are in question, and options. If you're not satisfied, bring the codes and suggested remedies back to this forum.

To Redwood.

I don't agree entirely with you.

First of all, I've never seen a Benz with a MIL, without an OBD2 connector. And I've never seen a 95 E without an X 11/4 connector, like Kestas was writing about. Maybe Gta255 could take a peek?

Secondly, while it's true that the OBD2 standard is regulated by US law, it's only a minimum standard. Producers can add functions to OBD2 as much as they wish, as long as it doesn't interfere with mandatory functions. MB has done just that. They have baked together all the systems in a system called CAN. (Controller Area Network) So a problem in your KlimaTronic or ABS system can also trigger a DTC.

But, around here, a 400E or E420 is a real stranger. I think i've seen our king more often than one of those. So I'm not the one to lecure anyone about what is and isn't on a V8 W124. Specially not on the American versions. So please take it for what it is. Me yapping.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
1989 300 TE
460 Posts
I believe janos_z is right because I have had the same problem on my Cougar. Same cleaning right behind the throttle body and same result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts