Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my 07 S550's check engine light goes on on once in a while, but then it goes off and doesn't come on in a while. I am worried that I have the timing chain issue, but the fact that it stays off for a while comforts me. I know I do have the gas tank issue where the pump clicks too early and I am wondering if that issue could cause the light to go on. I am still trying to figure out if it goes on when I fill the gas. For what it is worth, out of the two check engine lights that the car has, (Check Engine written out, and the outlined engine light), I have the outlined engine light which is a check engine light I assume, right?

Also while I have a post, there is something I noticed with my car today when my wife was pulling out of the garage, when you turn the wheel to the right the a light in the bottom of the drivers side headlight goes on, then when you turn the wheel opposite, vis versa happens. And I'm pretty sure when the wheel is straight, both lights are on. Anyone know what this is/whats it for?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
2015 S550 222
160 Posts
Well, I would have the codes read to see why the cel goes on. As for the lights.. they are to illuminate the corner when you turn..

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The fuel pump problem could cause a check engine light but I would still have the codes read just in case.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you mostly likely have cam solenoid issues. thats the 4 solenoids at the front on the cam covers next to the hall sensors. the fuel tank pressure sensor may give u an issue as well

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
There are scores of reasons for a CEL, even an intermittent one. But if it's come on, codes are stored for a series of drive cycles. So get the codes read and look them up or post them. That's the only way to find out more about what's going on; otherwise you're just guessing and that's a waste of time, potentially money and concern. Some auto parts stores and all Aamco dealers will read them for free or you can buy a basic reader for about $40 from Amazon. If you have them read, be sure to write down the actual codes, not just their summary of the issue(s).

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Correct Greg, even failing to put the fuel cap on correctly can throw a CEL:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts