Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just took my 99 ml430 on a road trip and she called and said the cel light came on after about 2 hrs of driving. I told her to check the gas cap and she did, no dice. I did read here that someone stated that a change in octane could trigger the light? My wie did stop and top off the tank with reg unleaded about 3 gallons. I wouldn't think that that would be enough to cause it. I guess I will the codes read when she gets home. Any way to clear the light in the meantime?

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
Since your wife added gas and the car is apparently running without problems I wouldn't worry too much about it so long as the car continues to run normally. I would be suprised if it wasn't the gas cap not being tight enough.

Anyway, pretty much the same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Car ran perfectly although the light decided to come on while cruising down the highway. Couple days later, since I was passing my favourite indy mechanic anyway, I swung in to have the codes read. Gas cap..... The light will clear itself after a few starts.

·
Registered
'01 ML-430/'96 C220/'05 Lexus RX330
199 Posts
My '01 430 throws a light even if use anything but Phillips or Shell 93 octane premium in any amount it seems. Although I have never only put 3 gals in it before, any time I have used regular or even mid-grade the light always comes on until you work that out and it resets itself. Go by autozone and let the read/reset it for free and see what the actual code was. Knock sensor will usually be the code if ti was low octane problem.

·
Registered
99 ml 320
6 Posts
My '99 320 also lights up with the old ck eng light.I think it has to with the gas we are using and maybe the additives. What do you think.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
After my wife filled E320 (coincidence?) I had the light as well.
I didn't go off after several starts and I went to AutoZone to reset it with the scanner.
The code says something like "Evaporation system leak -small" so it is not pinpointing the cap, but since the light never come back, I am pretty sure what it was.

yes Dear.

·
Registered
2005 ML 350 SE
31 Posts
Evaoration system leak may relate to overfilling the tank, this should not be done stop pumping when the pump stops or you might fill the system that removes vapors causing damage to that system at the begining of the filler.

·
Registered
2002 ML 320
45 Posts
My ML hates Mobile / Exxon gas. Since I've been avoid those stations no more check engine lights & shaking of the ML when idle at stop lights.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
bohdistava said:
Evaoration system leak may relate to overfilling the tank, this should not be done stop pumping when the pump stops or you might fill the system that removes vapors causing damage to that system at the begining of the filler.
This is not an issue on our ML.
I hate to spend time at gas stations, so I always top off. Usually I let the nozzle click 5-6 times, what gives me about 2 more gallons after first click.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts