Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a C230 2003 komp.

I finally fixed all the imisions problems and it is running like new and smog numbers are as close to perfect.

I still have one problem. The check engine light does not work.

To pass the test the check engine light must come on when you put the key in and start it up so as to indicate that the bulb is good.

Also when my tester showed the MIL (lamp on condition) the lamp would not come on.

I went to the stealership and the thieves say I need to replace the instrument cluster. $ 1,800 plus labor and reprogramming.

I am pretty sure the problem is simply that the bulb/ led is bad.

Has anyone had this problem before?

I'm guessing the led is soldered onto a cirquit board. Should not be too difficult finding a replacement.

Mercedes does not sell the part.. just the instrument cluster.

I know how to remove the cluster.

Can anyone tell me what type of lamp or LED is needed?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
This is not a simple "bulb". It's an LED that is surface mounted on a flexible mylar circuit board. Most likely, it's a crack in that mylar and it's really not repairable. If you want to see what it looks like, here's my disassembly instructions:

W203 Cluster Repair

Scroll down to photo #18.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rodney....

Very helpful !!!

I'll take it out tomorrow and see what is up.

It may be the connection of the Mylar circuit board to the main circuit board.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I took apart my instrument cluster and checked the Mylar circuit board. I took a good look at it with a jewelers loupe. I found no cracks or signs of damaged tracks on the circuit board.

I measured the impedance on the LEDs. The check engine light one was different to the others so I am assuming it is burned out... or was actually deliberately damaged.

Do you know the specs for these LEDs. IT looks like a simple job to remove it and replace it with something similar.

Thanks

Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts