Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to forum...my 99 sl500 check engine light is on again. had O2 sensor replaced once. now light on and after engine warm the fuel guage (low fuel) lights flash after a while...continue until turn off engine. anyone know what this could mean?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: i dont know. a couple of ideas: run diagnostics and reset

Thanks...i'm going by the local autozone and they will run the diagnostic. If that turns something up I'll take it to local mechanic (looking for a good one now) or dealer (would rather not pay their prices!). Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: i dont know. a couple of ideas: run diagnostics and reset

thanks for the suggestion. went to autozone and know it's 2 different o2 sensors

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
102 Posts
Mercedes will charge 110 to run entire car thru inspection. If you are not normally taking your car there for service you should. It will help your resale and protect you from future problems. My MB dealer does all kinds of stuff for me for free because I take my car there all the time. Services on these cars is only 265 why would you not take it in once a year?

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need a new regeneration valve. It should be located on the Driver Side, behind the headlight a bit and it is round and has MOT printed on the top. Sometimes the vacuum lines pop out of it, if this is the case, pop them back in and drive for a while and the check engine should go off. Your low fuel light flashing will go off immediately.

·
Registered
1998 SL 500
22 Posts
Had exactly the same thing on my 98 SL last year. Started out with the check engine light coming on. I thought it was a bad gas cap replaced it. Seemed to fix it for several days then the check engine light came back and the low fuel warning would start flashing. I could it to turn off by turning the engine off and then start back up. Turned out to be a defective regeneration valve. Wasn't expensive to replace.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,135 Posts
klouden is right. I just had this problem solved after 4 trips to the dealership' service area for a computer reset and stupid excuses. When they plugged it in they got a mass air flow sensor reading and told me it was due to the moddifications done to my car. Then on that 4th visit I found someone in the dealership with some expertise and found that my vacume pipe under the hood got diconected somehow. He plugged it back in reset the computer and there wasnt a need for a 5th visit.

Come to think of it now, it was making some slight hissing noise that i thought was the K&N aifilters I installed. But ever since the repair I dont hear that noise anymore.

Hope this info helps you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts