Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, it finally reared it`s head on the dash and here are the codes I read out ...
141 715 136 442. Is there a doctor in the house? What`s the diagnosis, Doc? Thanks in Advance

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Thanks for posting the codes, one of the doctors here can run wth those. What model year is your car and where do you live? You can use the User CP and input that data so everyone can see and and this usually helps people when they offer suggestions.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
yep, it finally reared it`s head on the dash and here are the codes I read out ...
141 715 136 442. Is there a doctor in the house? What`s the diagnosis, Doc? Thanks in Advance
P0136 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the explanation of the codes. Now what does it all mean? Are there more than 1 O2 sensors? Input/turbine sensor circuit replaceable? Would the leak be vacuum or exhaust?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Leak would be in

the emission system,someplace from a loose fuel cap to a stuck purge valve(diy cleaning in the diy section)check you gas cap.Look for any worn or cracked vac lines.
Clear the codes with an obd2 scanner if you have one.Or pick up the 94169 at harbor freight tools.40 bucks on sale now.
see if the codes come back.The p0715 can be anything from a leaking electrical connector on the transmission to a bad sensor on the plate above the valve body.That diagnosis is a sort of you choose response,inspect for the leaking connector,change the trans fluid and filter,or get it on a star diagnostic machine and have it diagnosed.Each has it's merits in how much of a diy'r you are.
O2 sensor codes both post cat passenger side bank 1 are probably part of the leak in the evap system letting in to much o2 and causing the sensor to show the values that the cat can't keep up.To repeat-----
I would start by clearing the codes and seeing which come back,do so after checking the above mentioned items.
ohlord

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I appreciate the explanation of the codes. Now what does it all mean? Are there more than 1 O2 sensors? Input/turbine sensor circuit replaceable? Would the leak be vacuum or exhaust?
Hey, cc, how many miles? The spec for O2 sensor replacement is 100K miles, so if you're there, just buy all four (yes, four) and change them. You can buy brand-name universals and splice them in if you want, you'll save quite a bit that way if you DIY, otherwise just buy the OEM (if you're paying for labor, it costs just as much to pay the guy to cut and splice as if you just bought the OEM ones).

The evap code could be gas cap as ohlord suggests, try flipping the gasket over, that sometimes helps. If you are in the habit of "topping off" when you fill up that can cause the death of the evap canister, also in the DIY sticky. Can't hurt to clean the purge valve, and have you changed the fuel filter?

As to the trans code, there is a connector on the transmission that is prone to leaking, so check that, if so replace it (again, in the DIY section) and clean the harness, open the console and clean the TCM as well. Speaking of which, have you yet serviced the transmission?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
812 Posts
For the 715 error I would recommand replacing the plug adapter on the transmission. I haven't done mine yet, but I pulled my connector out of the plug and it was pretty soaked in trans fluid. The wiring seemed dry so I cleaned both the plug and connector with compressed air and used come electrical connector grease on it to keep the contracts from getting fluid on it if reappears. I plan on replacing it at the next fluid change. Since I've cleaned mine I haven't had the 715 error. Now I bet just jinx-ed myself !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow guys, thanks for the tips of wisdom. I was on a business trip so just received all these pearls of wisdom. Yes, she has 127,000 miles and yes I do and will need to do the trans service and will consider changing out the o2 sensors. Gas cap would be an easy fix. I`ll look for the tool and reset the codes also thanks again and I`ll let you know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, actually the first three codes have not come back after messing with the gas cap, fiddling with the purge valve, and spraying about listening for a vacuum leak. But I took the electrical plug out of the trans, blew it out and the plug in as well but the 715 code still shows up and the car went into limp home mode for my wife today! She was real happy. Hey, i`m from Old school VW where you didn`t always make it home! Time for a service call?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Well, actually the first three codes have not come back after messing with the gas cap, fiddling with the purge valve, and spraying about listening for a vacuum leak. But I took the electrical plug out of the trans, blew it out and the plug in as well but the 715 code still shows up and the car went into limp home mode for my wife today! She was real happy. Hey, i`m from Old school VW where you didn`t always make it home! Time for a service call?
Hey, cc. Since you're due for an AT service take it to a good indie that can clear the transmission codes, tell him you've had that one intermittently. The only way to clear it is with a special module or a tie into the SDS. Hopefully that will take care of it.

The other limp-mode possibility since you have the 5-speed is that your wife (or someone else) spilled something in the console. That usually keeps you in limp-mode, though, so it seems unlikely.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, well, My wife took it to an indie mechanic who assessed that the code suggested the RPM sensor was at fault and needed to be replaced. He also says 8 quarts of A/T fluid are what is required and of course the gasket and filter set. Is this a DIY cause I`m thinking maybe I just might do it myself if properly inspired. Right now, it is driving fine and codes are reset, no check engine light, and I did blow out the elec. connection of fluid. He said the design was changed in later models so that the fluid wouldn`t collect there. True?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello every one I have same problem (code 136-141) both O2 sensore replaced.any body can help me. please E320 1997 250000 KM

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
OK, well, My wife took it to an indie mechanic who assessed that the code suggested the RPM sensor was at fault and needed to be replaced. He also says 8 quarts of A/T fluid are what is required and of course the gasket and filter set. Is this a DIY cause I`m thinking maybe I just might do it myself if properly inspired. Right now, it is driving fine and codes are reset, no check engine light, and I did blow out the elec. connection of fluid. He said the design was changed in later models so that the fluid wouldn`t collect there. True?
I have recently replaced the RPM sensors (conductor Ppate) and wrote a DIY article and you can find it here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1446268-atf-transmission-control-module-99-e-6.html#post3538903

The RPM sensors are on a conductor plate which is on the top of the valve body. This conductor plate has gone through 4 updates and the latest one is last month (Mercedes also lowed the list price for the latest part).

The connector has also been updated at least three times. The new ones are better but still not 100% leak proof.

After I went inside the valve body, I have come to the conclusion that the leaked fluid is not responsible for the code. The conductor plate (with all electric contacts exposed) is essentially immersed in ATF inside the valve body. The ATF must be an insulating fluid (like the cooling oil used is electrical power transformers). If it were conducting, it would have been shorting the conductor plate left and right.

I would say the job is not difficult but you do need to equipped with information. I prepared for doing that job (replacing the conductor plate) at least 6 months to get all the information in hand before I went in.

CAM, you codes are different from OP's. His is for the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hello loubapache; thank you for geting to me I am new here. any way I have the both code related to bank 1 sensor 2(o2).Ihave deleted the code 3 times after changing the sensor(OEM) and keep coming back. I need some idea to look for a problem. thanks

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
hello loubapache; thank you for geting to me I am new here. any way I have the both code related to bank 1 sensor 2(o2).Ihave deleted the code 3 times after changing the sensor(OEM) and keep coming back. I need some idea to look for a problem. thanks
Just to confirm. When you sit in the car, this O2 sensor is on the right, after the Cat (bank 1 sensor 2).

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is to sensor , one before and one after the cat.thay are on the right side(under passenger).I think bank 1 sensor 2 is before the cat....? any way this one I just changed and the one after the cat been changed 3 weeks ago.any idea what als would give me tese codes? thanks

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
there is to sensor , one before and one after the cat.thay are on the right side(under passenger).I think bank 1 sensor 2 is before the cat....? any way this one I just changed and the one after the cat been changed 3 weeks ago.any idea what als would give me tese codes? thanks
Bank 1 sensor 2 is after the cat. However, since you have replaced both of them, it does not matter.

Here is a O2 sensor checking/test document you may want to browse through.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
loubapache
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing