Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 E420 and the Check Engine light comes and goes. When the light is on Check Engine Electronics is on also. It has been doing this for a while and I can reset it. It will stay off a while and come back on. It seems to come on quicker whrn the tank is full. And sometimes it comes on when the car is first started, other times Im driving down the highway. I have flipped the rubber gasket on the gas cap. And there is some vapor on it too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Nothing to

do with your gas cap,and clearing it by erasing the code does not fix the issue.It just trips the light again when the conditions that created it occur again.
On the m112 and m113 engines we have camshaft position sensors and crank shaft position sensors,on the m119 engines like your 420 you have a
adjustable camshaft timing solenoid and if oil gets into the fitting or the wires get frayed it will trip that code.It is a mercedes specific code and I can't find a part number for you,however there was a TSB issued for the problem so it ought to be easy for the dealer parts dept to get you the location and if there was a recall to fix the problem.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
I was looking in the FSM for the M113 codes, without success. I can always seem to find them for the OM606, but perhaps a few beers tonight has blurred my vision.

Thanks for the information, Ohlord. If you know how to navigate to the codes in the FSM, please remind me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts