Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 E320 in my possession and the check engine light is on. I think because of a weak battery and the fact that the engine barely turns over when I start it up. I had a mechanic inspect it; he hooked the batt. up to his volt meter and the first check came back 12.6V, totally fine; that was 60 seconds after I turned the engine off after I had been driving around for 10 minutes. Then, I started it up and turned it off immediately, he then checked it again and it came back 10.2V after falling quickly from 11.2V. Incidentally, the check engine light is on and I am wondering if a dying battery will make the CEL go on. Anyone have experience with this same problem? Something tells me that if I throw in a new battery the CEL will go off immediately after starting it up. Thing is, i don't want to do that until after I purchase the car.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured out (thanks to you guys on this forum) how to check the CEL codes using the LED box next to the battery. Came up with fault code number 5. EGR code. After reading through some posts, the likely culprit is a clogged EGR tube that needs to be cleaned with a drill and odo cable combination at high rpms. Nice! Like it! Anyone done this yet? Did it clear the code? Did it improve MPG like some report?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts